TKS named finalist in two national competitions

Syracuse, UCLA, Daily Illini, meet The Knox Student.

That’s just a sampler of the schools and student publications that TKS is going up against in the Associated Collegiate Press Story of the Year competition, a national contest in which all publications are judged together, regardless of size and frequency of publication.

TKS is a finalist in two categories for articles published during the 2012-2013 academic year. The finalists were announced by ACP Thursday.

In news story of the year, former Enterprise Editor Matt McKinney ’13 and current Co-Mosaic Editor Kate Mishkin are finalists for their piece on Knox’s list of persons who have been banned from campus. (You might remember it as “The unseen ‘faces’ of campus” from the print edition.)

TKS is also a finalist in the editorial category for our Thoughts from the Embers titled “Don’t let tuition hit $50,000,” which questioned whether Knox’s facilities and services warranted such a high price tag.

Needless to say, it’s been a big day for TKS. I can’t express how proud I am of all the staffers involved in making TKS an exceptional publication.

The winners will be announced at the annual ACP conference in October.

Charlie Megenity
Charlie Megenity (formerly Gorney) is a senior double majoring in political science and economics. He previously served TKS as managing editor and as co-news editor while working as the weekend reporter for The Galesburg Register-Mail. Over the summer of 2012, Charlie interned in Wisconsin with Patch.com, an online hyperlocal news source, where he covered the August 2012 Oak Creek Sikh temple shooting; he will return to Patch during the summer of 2013. He is also the journalism editor for Catch magazine.. Charlie has received three awards from the Illinois College Press Association for newswriting and design, including a first place award for front page layout. He was the 2013 recipient of the Theodore Hazen Kimble Memorial Award in Journalism for a feature story published in The Knox Student. His work has also appeared in The Huffington Post.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , by Charlie Megenity. Bookmark the permalink.

About Charlie Megenity