TKS gets 4th place for ACP News Story of the Year

I’ve gotten word that a TKS story has been awarded fourth place in the Associated Collegiate Press News Story of the Year contest — a national competition that pitted us against student publications at institutions like Syracuse, UCLA and the University of Illinois.

This calls for congratulations to the story’s co-authors: Matt McKinney, former enterprise editor who is now pursuing his master’s degree in at Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism, and Kate Mishkin, a current co-mosaic editor. Their reporting on Galesburg residents who had been banned from campus deserves the high praise.

TKS also garnered an honorable mention in the editorial category for our Thoughts from the Embers titled “Don’t let tuition hit $50,000,” which questioned whether Knox’s facilities and services warranted such a high price tag.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , by Charlie Megenity, Editor-in-chief. Bookmark the permalink.

About Charlie Megenity, Editor-in-chief

Charlie Megenity (formerly Gorney) is a senior double majoring in political science and economics. He previously served TKS as managing editor and as co-news editor while working as the weekend reporter for The Galesburg Register-Mail. Over the summer of 2012, Charlie interned in Wisconsin with Patch.com, an online hyperlocal news source, where he covered the August 2012 Oak Creek Sikh temple shooting; he will return to Patch during the summer of 2013. He is also the journalism editor for Catch magazine.. Charlie has received three awards from the Illinois College Press Association for newswriting and design, including a first place award for front page layout. He was the 2013 recipient of the Theodore Hazen Kimble Memorial Award in Journalism for a feature story published in The Knox Student. His work has also appeared in The Huffington Post.