TKS named best non-daily student paper in region

TKS

The Knox Student has been named the best all-around non daily student newspaper in Region 5 (including Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky) by the Society of Professional Journalists.

The award was announced Saturday during the SPJ Region 5 conference in Chicago. TKS was judged regionally against other non-daily student newspapers — regardless of school size — with three random issues from the 2013 calendar year.

This is huge news for TKS, especially coming off a strong showing at the Illinois College Press Association conference in February. And while these recognitions are always welcome, we still want to know how we can serve our readers better. Story suggestions can be submitted here, emailed to tks@knox.edu, or sent directly to me at cgorney@knox.edu.

Other recent awards include 4th place for News Story of the Year from Associated Collegiate Press, along with 18 awards from the Illinois College Press Association.

The Society of Professional Journalists is one of the nation’s leading journalism organizations, and it sets the journalistic ethics code generally used as an industry standard.

Charlie Megenity
Charlie Megenity (formerly Gorney) is a senior double majoring in political science and economics. He previously served TKS as managing editor and as co-news editor while working as the weekend reporter for The Galesburg Register-Mail. Over the summer of 2012, Charlie interned in Wisconsin with Patch.com, an online hyperlocal news source, where he covered the August 2012 Oak Creek Sikh temple shooting; he will return to Patch during the summer of 2013. He is also the journalism editor for Catch magazine.. Charlie has received three awards from the Illinois College Press Association for newswriting and design, including a first place award for front page layout. He was the 2013 recipient of the Theodore Hazen Kimble Memorial Award in Journalism for a feature story published in The Knox Student. His work has also appeared in The Huffington Post.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , by Charlie Megenity. Bookmark the permalink.

About Charlie Megenity