With its back up against the wall on its home court, with an 0-6 record and facing two must-win doubles matches against bitter rival Monmouth College last Thursday, the Knox women’s tennis team responded.
Sophomores Katie Beadling and Rachel Clark defeated Monmouth 8-3 in the number two doubles match, and freshmen Aimee Neilan and Emily Tyl defeated their Monmouth counterparts to clinch the 5-4 victory for the Prairie Fire. Clark, senior Ginny Graves, and freshman Sarah Bolitho all won their respective singles matches for the Fire.
The Fire women remained victorious with a dominant win over Illinois College on Tuesday. The Fire won all but one match, routing the Blues 8-1 in another home match. Sophomore Jordan Kuban, Clark and Graves won contested singles matches, while Bolitho and Neilan won their respective matches by forfeit.
Sophomore Megan Funk teamed with Kuban to win the first doubles match. Neilan and Tyl shut out their doubles opponent, and Beadling and Clark won their final match by forfeit. The wins bring Knox to 2-6 overall (2-1 in Midwest Conference play).
Knox 5 Monmouth 4
1. Amy Unzicker (MC) def. Megan Funk (KC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Kimi Wegner (MC) def. Jordan Kuban (KC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Nicole Anson (MC) def. Katie Beadling (KC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Rachel Clark (KC) def. Kiah Henry (MC) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-3)
5. Ginny Graves (KC) def. Sarah McLinden (MC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Sarah Bolitiho (KC) def. Rachel Bognar (MC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Amy Unzicker/Kimi Wegner (MC) def. Megan Funk/Jordan Kuban (KC) 8-1
2. Katie Beadling/Rachel Clark (KC) def. Nicole Anson/Kiah Henry (MC) 8-3
3. Aimee Neilan/Emily Tyl (KC) def. Sarah McLinden/Rachel Bognar (MC) 8-3
Knox 8 IC 1
1. Candy Norville (IC) def. Megan Funk (KC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jordan Kuban (KC) def. Martha Kwiecinski (IC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Rachel Clark (KC) def. Jessica Verdick (IC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ginny Graves (KC) def. Aoife Burns (IC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Sarah Bolitiho (KC) def. No player (IC), by forfeit
6. Aimee Neilan (KC) def. No player (IC), by forfeit
1. Megan Funk/Jordan Kuban (KC) def. Candy Norville/Martha Kwiecinski (IC) 8-5
2. Aimee Neilan/Emily Tyl (KC) def. Jessica Verdick/Aoife Burns (IC) 8-0
3. Katie Beadling/Rachel Clark (KC) def. No player/No player (IC), by forfeit