January 12, 2011

Likealittle: just a little creepy

Over winter break, the flirting website likealittle.com caused more than a little controversy among Knox students.

Likealittle is a website for college students to leave anonymous notes about their crushes. The Knox page was created over the break by sophomore Kaitlyn Duling, who was introduced to the site by fellow sophomore Carly Oto.

Although many people used the site for its original innocent purposes, some have used the site’s anonymity to make disparaging or sexually explicit comments.

Freshman Stephanie Schreiber said that she found the site “insanely creepy.”

“People are putting twisted things on there because there are no consequences,” she said. “We can’t handle anonymity at Knox.”

Duling still believes that the site could be a positive thing for Knox students.

“Some of the things people write are funny,” Duling said. “That’s all it’s ever been for me, fun.”

Although she agrees that some people have abused the site, she still stands behind it.

“Anything in life, depending on how people use it, can be negative,” she said.

The negative side came out strongly when the “Like A Little” community latched onto a female brunette who was transferring to Knox. Although the girl’s identity was never stated, the whole community became obsessed with her.

New bits of gossip about the girl started popping up, even though she had not started classes yet. They said that she was pretty, that she was dating a Sigma Nu and, more fancifully, that she was a Cylon created by lonely Sigma Nus. Although most of the sexually explicit comments were taken down by the administrators, a few posts still remain to evidence the odd fixation that apparently came out of nowhere.

“At my heart: Female, Brunette. my posts keep getting deleted. just know i cant stop thinking about you [sic]” reads one post that remained on the site.

“I wasn’t sure how to handle it,” said Duling about the inappropriate posts. “I just started deleting everything that I wouldn’t want said to me.”

Senior Tim Schmeling said that although he had read the site, he would not leave a post.

“I’m afraid that someone will figure out it’s me and I’ll be embarrassed,” he said.

Schmeling believed that the site could be useful for “getting the feeling of crushes off your chest, not so someone can figure out who you are and ask you out.”

Schmeling also brought up one of the other downsides of the site, which is unknown intent. When he recognized that a post praising a tour guide was directed towards him, he could not tell if the post was from an admirer or a friend pulling a simple prank. Although he assumed it was the latter, he is not giving up hope. “If whoever posted that is out there, call me,” he said. “I’m still out there looking for my like a little.”

“It’s kind of ridiculous,” junior Cat Erickson said. “[Likealittle is] a way to start gossip and drama.”

When her friend showed her St. Olaf College’s like a little page, Oto immediately thought that the page was “kind of Knox’s thing.” She had high hopes for the site when it began.

“It could have been a fun community building place, but a couple people are spoiling the fun,” she said.

She thinks that the page might recover now that school is back in session and asks that people do not judge the site based on what happened over break.

“Now that we’re back at campus, we can use it like we’re supposed to use it—when you see someone, not from memory.”

“If they don’t like it,” Duling said, “don’t use it.”

She went onto say if anyone had concerns about comments posted on the site, they should email Duling or one of the other administrators so they can deal with the situation.

SPICEing up lives of teens
Students win in ACM photo contest