Campus / National / News / February 16, 2011

Filling up for more

Gas prices recently went up. In the Galesburg area, gas now averages $3.16 a gallon. We spoke with seniors April Ulinski, Miranda Machula and Katie Johnston and junior Amy Miller about what it’s like to have a car on campus during a gas price increase.

The Knox Student (TKS): So, you all have cars. Do you drive much?

Amy Miller (AM):Well, I’m kind of a hot commodity because I have a car, so I’m always trucking people around. Every couple weeks or so I might take a longer trip home or to a friend’s.

Katie Johnston (KJ): I would say once or twice a week. I usually drive people places about half the time. The other half of the time is grocery shopping and things like that.

April Ulinski (AU): I try to use my car as little as possible when I’m here.

TKS: How often do you buy gas?

Miranda Machula (MM): Not a lot, because I don’t drive very often.

AU: Maybe three times a term, if that. I actually haven’t bought gas yet this term.

KJ: A fair amount. Not as much since I live on campus as I did when I was in high school. I would say it’s about once a month now. It takes about a third of a tank of gas to drive home, so if I’m driving home, I need it more.

TKS: Did you notice the price increase? Has it affected you at all?

AM: It’s kind of hard to notice because I’ve been out of the loop so long. I don’t see the gas prices every day. I get gas when I need it because I need it, so I don’t think about it so much.

AU: I don’t know what it’s been doing since New Years, but I definitely noticed it over break.

KJ: I would say that I try not to drive as much if the price is up like this. But when I was 17, it was, like, four dollars for a while, and in high school I had to drive to school every day. Here it’s not so bad. I just try to get more things done in each trip.

TKS: Do you think the price increase has affected students?

MM: I don’t think so. I haven’t heard anybody talk about it at all, but then I don’t know a lot of people with cars.

AM: I’d say the students who are affected more are those who have internships or jobs in town or out of town that they have to drive to, and those who live farther away.

AU: I wouldn’t really say so. Not very many people actually have their cars on campus. It may eventually trickle down in terms of Quickie prices or C-Store prices, but that’s kind of stretching it. I think most people rely on buying stuff downtown or catching rides to Wal-Mart on buses or in friend’s cars.

Maya Sharma

Knox students establish theology journal 'Fusion'
WOI: From colony to club

The first issue of Knox’s newest student publication focusing on religion and faith entitled “Fusion: An Inter-Faith...