September 28, 2011

Fish, a week later: Rest in peace Goldie

A week after the Fish and Chips event, tales of dead goldfish are all over campus, but despite the event’s high mortality rate, most former fish owners remember their brief pet-owning experience fondly.
The Union Board originally considered having the event during freshman orientation week so the new students could have something they could take care of, according to junior and Union Board member Dan Moriarty. When they realized the possible appeal of the event, they decided to make it an all-campus event. Despite the change, the event was popular among freshmen longing for home.
Freshman Shannon Huz had fish when she was younger and decided to get a fish because she missed her pets back home. She named her fish Sunny.
“It was one of my nicknames, and he is really shiny,” Huz said. Although Sunny died on Sept. 24, Huz was still glad she had the fish for a little while.
“It was kind of nice,” she said. “I have a lot of animals to take care of at home, but nothing here. He was distracting, but in a good way.”
Huz said that she enjoyed watching the fish swim around the tank while she worked. She is considering buying another fish.
Sophomore Lyana Sun Han Chang’s fish was one of the longest-lived fish on campus. She and her roommate both got fish the night of the event. They named the fish Boots and Catz after the sounds they used beat boxing in Improv.
Sun Han Chang went to the event because it was free and looked like fun. She decorated the tank with multicolored stones, a plastic plant and then spelled out Catz’s name with foam letters on the front of the tank.
Although her roommate’s fish died the day after the event, Sun Han Chang said that Catz stuck around until Sept. 26. Sun Han said she’s unsure why the fish lived longer than so many of its compatriots.
“I don’t even know if he ate or not,” Sun Han Chang said. Although she always put food in the fish’s tank, she always saw flakes floating around the tank.
His survival might have had something to do with how Sun Han Chang picked him. He was a strong orange color and looked bigger than the other fish.
After Boots’ death, they bought a beta fish and named it Boots II. Now that Catz is also deceased, Sun Han Chang said she feels “a void in my life,” one she plans to fill with a beta. She’s going to name the fish, of course, Catz II.

Ancient map a 'masterpiece'
Knox archives prove a treasure trove