October 12, 2011

A wedding any way you want

Ever wanted to get married with no strings attached? Well, if you have, you might have been at Wednesday’s Mock Weddings put on by campus group Common Ground.
Common Ground is the LGBTQA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning and allies) alliance on campus and is, according to the Knox website, “an organization dedicated to the eradication of homophobia, heterosexism and bias from the Knox community and from the world at large.”
Fitting with the club’s mission, the Mock Weddings event is not only a chance for people to use their imaginations, but also for those who support gay marriage and gay rights to make a point.
“To encourage marriage equality, I would say that would be the reason behind it,” junior and the Head of Mock Weddings Rachel Fisher said. “We’re trying to point out that it’s something that any two people in love should be able to do no matter what gender they are.”
The procedure starts with couples signing up at the beginning through the scribe, the processions and vows of all the couples (led by senior Common Ground member Matthew Becker) and a reception afterwards, complete with cake.
Confetti is thrown and pictures are taken of the happy couples as if it were a real wedding.
As for the style of the wedding, it is ultimately up to the couple (or the animate party) to decide. Becker improvises on whatever is requested, whether it is Bible scriptures or Buddhist mantras or nothing at all.
Some of the past weddings have included someone marrying her two trucks together, someone marrying the sun and someone marrying their favorite fictional character. Of course, many members marry less eccentric entities, such as their friends and even their significant others.
Gay marriage is currently legal in only five states. Fisher believes mock weddings are a step in the right direction in forming a positive mindset on campus toward the queer community. It is a mindset she hopes will be translated to the world beyond Knox.
“I feel it draws attention to the fact [that marriage isn’t allowed for everyone],” she said. “By being able to marry a salt shaker, we can point out how ridiculous it is that we can’t marry any person.”
Common Ground meets on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. in the Human Rights Center (HRC), and will be holding a Queer Writing Forum later this term.

Sam Brownson
Sam Brownson ’12 majored in philosophy and minored in anthropology and sociology. This is his second year copy editing for TKS; he is also currently a post-baccalaureate fellow in music and theater and will be composing the music for two productions as part of Knox’s Repertory Theatre Term. A self-described grammar Nazi, Sam worked as a TKS reporter and as a writer and editor for his high school newspaper before joining the TKS editorial staff. He also manages social media for Brownson Properties in Holland, Mich.

3-D movies: Now a permanent dimension
Learning from the past