October 26, 2011

Tasty pumpkin treats for Halloween

For chefs and bakers, Halloween is an opportunity to make fun and tasty treats. It’s the time of year when anyone can bake pumpkin anything and no one raises an eyebrow.
Take advantage of that while it lasts by making these Halloween Pumpkin Muffins from the cookbook: 1 Mix, 100 Muffins. (Special thanks to senior Katie Frank for the recipe.)

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
2. Lightly beat the eggs in a large pitcher or bowl then beat in the milk and oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the beaten liquid ingredients, and add the pumpkin flesh. Stir gently until just combined; do not over mix.
3. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well-risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch.
4. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a plate/wire rack and let cool completely. Spread a teaspoon of Dulce de Leche over the top of each muffin before serving.

Ingredients
Oil or melted butter for greasing or 12 muffin paper liners
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice — if you do not have pumpkin pie spice, substitute cinnamon, ginger and cloves to taste
1/8 teaspoon salt
Heaping 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
Scant 1 cup milk
6 tablespoons sunflower oil OR melted, cooled butter
15 oz/425 g canned pumpkin
Dulce de Leche for topping

NSF grant brings multicore to the masses
Senate restricted fund reaches peak balance