November 2, 2011

“Infinite Summer Camp” over too soon

What do mutant chickens, brain-sucking aliens and lovesick hill people have in common?
All three were created onstage during the Improv Club’s show, Infinite Summer Camp.
Though the club performed for Quiver’s Diminished Capacity comedy show, their Oct. 29 show in Roger Taylor lounge was their first official performance of the year. According to sophomore Alyssa Gill, a member of Improv Club, the show went well.
“There were a lot of people here that seemed to really enjoy it,” Gill said.
The show was free, but attendees were encouraged to bring canned goods and, for a dollar, participants could grab a handful of candy out of a bag. The proceeds of both went to the FISH food pantry in Galesburg. The group collected 10 cans and raised $45.
Do-goodery is good and all, but the real focus of the show was the comedy. The show mixed short games with long form and, in true improvisational style, the players built scenes around audience suggestions.
Freshman Jen Gee attended to support her suitemates and feed her love of improv. Her favorite piece was the long form skit “The Hill People Have Eyes,” a western love story about a man who falls in love with the hill dwelling mutant who has his wife’s eyes (literally).
“Everything sounds better with an accent,” Gee said.
The other long forms included the action packed tale of a dinosaur zoo, the tragic saga of a samurai cheese cutter and the gripping horror story “Blood and Chickens.”
Interspersed between the long scenes were shorter games like Expert, where the performers pretend to be experts on obscure topics like scatting or red shirts, or Director, where three actors have to re-run a scene to meet the odd expectations of the scene’s “director.”
Things ascend to the absurd very quickly in improv, so if an audience member tries to explain the acts to anyone who was not there, the description might elicit a confused look, but those who were in the audience know that the Improv club made red shirts, marine pregnancy and unbalanced security guards hilarious.
Senior Skyler Arend is a member of the Improv Club. He was not in the show itself, but he came to support his fellow performers and enjoy a good show. Most of the seats were full of laughing people, which did not surprise Arend, since he said improv is “generally easy to get into.”
The audience reaction also pleased Gill. “There were a lot of people here that seemed to really enjoy it,” she said. The audience reaction is Gill’s second favorite part of Improv, right behind getting to work with her fellow performers.

Volleyball's senior night sweet
Foresters hand Prairie Fire heartbreaking loss