Arts & Culture / Mosaic / November 2, 2011

Art Blurbs: Nov. 3

Music

Following the cancellation of her upcoming tour dates, rumors are spreading that the singer Adele has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Adele has denied the rumors and said an upcoming surgery is to repair her vocal cords. The singer hopes to begin touring again sometime next year. Source: The Guardian

Pop culture

Kim Kardashian, star of the show “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” has filed for divorce from her husband after 72 days of marriage. Kardashian married NBA player Kris Humphries in what was rumored to be a multi-million dollar ceremony August 20, 2011.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Literature

The horror novelist Stephen King has moved away from his usual genre with his new work, “11/22/63,” scheduled for release on Nov. 8. The book tells the story of a 35-year-old schoolteacher who travels back in time with the eventual goal of stopping the Kennedy assassination, only to deal with unexpected consequences of changing the past. Source: New York Times

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) kicked off on Nov. 1. Participants attempt to write an entire novel, or 50,000 words, between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30. Novels may be of any genre; some bestsellers such as “Water for Elephants” were first written as part of the event. See next week’s The Knox Student for coverage of the event.

Source: NanNoWriMo

Television

Despite competing with the seventh game of the World Series, NBC’s new supernatural drama drew 6.5 million viewers in its premiere last Friday. “Grim” is based on the premise that fairytale creatures begin to invade the real world; only a cop who comes from a family of hunters known as the “Grimms” can stop them.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Top #hashtags

#prayforadele – This hashtag became popular after rumors spread the singer had been diagnosed with throat cancer

#justinbieber – A pop singer

#tcot – Top Conservatives on Twitter

#thingslongerthankimsmarriage – Kim Kardashian filed for divorce after 72 days of marriage

#HelloNovember – Used in anticipation of the month’s upcoming events

#ta3beer – Used to discuss online free speech

Cross country dents record books, Men's soccer falls on senior day
Queens lose heads in Harbach

Cross Country The men’s and women’s cross country teams made their mark on the Knox record books with solid...