November 9, 2011

Finding Galesburg’s antiquated treasures

Nestled into the middle of Main Street, the Galesburg Antique Mall is one of the town’s not-so-hidden treasures.
The mall, a favorite of tourists, students and locals, houses the antiques of over 100 dealers. It is also home to the Galesburg Historical Museum and Rooster’s Diner.
Lynette Miller, who has worked at the Antique mall on and off for 13 years, said, “We love our Knox students.” Although she is mostly retired now, she still comes by to fill in for other salespeople when they go on vacation.
Miller has an easy, congenial manner with customers, so it makes sense when she says she enjoys her job.
“When I retired from my other job, I said I wanted a fun job,” she said.
Working at the antique store for 13 years, it is obvious she still loves her job and her coworkers. She also loves helping customers find the exact thing they have been looking for.
From Antiques, page 7
In a few steps, shoppers can move from a stall filled with cut glass bowls to a room filled with new, overstocked clothing to another stall stacked high with records and old Life magazines.
Fascinating bits of the past’s everyday life can be found between the walls of the antique mall. An old theatre bill for a magic act by “Mysterious Lawain-in person!” and his opening act “Jimmy, the boy with 1000 laughs-Charlie McCarthy’s only rival.” The shelves also hold an original LP of the Beatles’ “Revolver” and a Moline high school yearbook from 1933.
In addition to the random items that can be found in the Antique mall, more specific items of historical interest live on the mall’s third floor in the Galesburg Historical museum.
It has items from throughout Galesburg’s history including two of the last three refrigerators made and signed by Maytag plant workers, photos of President Ronald Reagan in a Galesburg uniform from the 1952 movie “The Winning Team” and a Lombard piano built by the Galesburg piano company.
“It does become a quest,” she said with a smile.
The mall does not buy the items it sells, but instead rents out places or shelves to dealers who fill the space with their own items.

Speaking for sustainability
How Union Board entertains Knox