April 11, 2012

Dancing in the Box

Two years ago, seniors Emily Berkson, Erin McKinstry and Emma Poland had an idea: to put on their own dance show.
This term, that dream will become a reality in their show “Between the Spaces and Folds.”
“We wanted to put forth something that would be different than something you would see at [Terpsichore] or Dance Ensemble,” Berkson said.
The show is “different” because the trio choreographed the entire show, which created a unity of movement, which would be difficult to create with the other dance showcases.
“I think that happens very rarely at dance shows at Knox where it’s 45 minutes of a story rather than snippets for an hour and a half,” Poland said.
“Between the Spaces and Folds” is different. It was set up as one complete show which flows from one piece to another.
One thing that contributed to this continuity was the fact that the dances all covered their subjects with a similar intensity.
Their pieces cover a variety of topics, from a female’s first sexual experience, to reverse culture shock, to body image, to reactions to traumatic events, but the organizers said they worked to approach each topic with honesty and integrity.
“I feel like we were all equally committed to exploring our own topics, even if they’re uncomfortable things to talk about,” Berkson said. “Nobody chickened out.”
Although Berkson said she expected the challenges of choreography, she did not anticipate how much of their work would be logistical. They were not only figuring out their dances, they were also planning auditions, budgets, rehearsals and other practical features.
This meant more work, but this also meant the three attained a level of freedom that was impossible in other shows.
“We’re setting a dance in an empty warehouse,” Berkson said. “We had to create the blueprint, which is exciting.”
The individual planners also took responsibility for different aspects of the workload, but when they do anything, agreement is important to them.
“We kind of hand off everything evenly,” Poland said, but when they have to do more major things like purchasing, talking to their advisors and making decisions about the production, all three have to agree.
“It was also a cool opportunity for us to direct, to create our own show entirely, rather than having the department do that aspect of it,” McKinstry said.

“Between the Spaces and Folds” will be performed in The Box Gallery, 306 E. Simmons St., on April 20 at 8 p.m. and on April 21 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Monologues, movement and hamburger meat
Class preps for Alaskan trek