August 23, 2012

Knox’s Earth Day gets its groove on

With smoothies, tie-dyeing and music, there was plenty to do at the Earth Day Celebration on Seymour Lawn at 6 p.m. on April 21.
The event was the culmination of the Alliance for Peaceful Action’s (APA) week of symposiums and Knox Advocates for Recycling and Environmental Support’s (KARES) Earth Week.
APA provided the musical entertainment. Knox’s own Poets and Peasants opened for the Chicago Beatles tribute band, The Cavern Beat. The Beat’s members are both Beatles sound-alikes and look-alikes and played some of the bands most popular hits.
KARES member and freshman Callie Smith was very excited to see The Cavern Beat. She said she is “completely obsessed” with The Beatles. She was overwhelmed when she heard a cover band was coming to Knox.
When she heard they were coming, she had to make sure the news was true, not her friends playing a “cruel prank.” After she found out the band was actually coming, she “went crazy,” even drawing portraits of the Fab Four on KARES’ Earth Week poster. She came to the concert decked out in a Beatles t-shirt and Beatles pins, carrying a Beatles bag.
Another draw for Earth Day celebrators were the smoothies, which were mixed by bicycle. This KARES addition was a project the club had created over winter term after senior Elizabeth Cockrell heard about the idea.
The club found instructions online. The club had to adapt the instructions, which called for unavailable hardware so there was a lot of improvising.
The machine had a “doohickey” (sic), which turned and in turn spun the gear, which twisted the smoothie machine’s blades when the “doohickey” hit against the back wheel and produced the smoothies, Cockrell said.
Many people came to the KARES tie-dying event. KARES member sophomore Emma Weitzel said the club wanted to provide tie dying since it is “a lot of fun, because you get to make your own t-shirt.”
Although senior Alex Ziech had not tie-dyed in a long time and had “no idea what I’m doing,” he still made himself a t-shirt in an attempt to have some “good clean fun.”
Although the events were all exciting, the Earth was not lost in the shuffle.
Ziech felt that people should celebrate the Earth all year round by making responsible choices, but he was glad to set a day aside to “celebrate that which gives us everything.”
Smith echoed his feelings, saying “every day should be Earth day,” but was glad to celebrate it since she said it, like Valentine’s Day, was a day that was set aside to honor a love (for the Earth and for others respectively) that should be expressed all year long.
And on a day that combined a celebration of the Earth, The Beatles, smoothies and tie-dyeing, Smith was happy. In her own words it was “pretty much the best day of the year.”

Prairie Fire squander big lead at home
Looking to future films

Prairie Fire squander big lead at home
Judging by the first few minutes of play, the Knox women’s basketball team seemed well on its way to a solid...