August 27, 2012

Cupcakes, straight to your K-Box

Some might not believe that an idea that two freshmen came up with in a dorm room could help children across the world, but the Pi Beta Phi “Cupcake in a K-Box” sale proved it could.
For those who missed the event’s tabling, the idea behind cupcakes in a K-Box was pretty simple. Students could order a cupcake, mini-cupcakes or a cupcake cake which would be delivered to the Knox mailbox of their choice the following Monday. Proceeds from the sale went to the Children Advocacy Center and the Kilimanjaro Children’s Foundation.
The event was the brain child of Pi Phi Karla Gasca and her freshman year roommate Elizabeth Oatney (both now sophomores). Gasca was interested in helping abused children and Oatney was interested in the Kilimanjaro Children’s Foundation. Both wanted to donate money to their charities, so they came up with baking cupcakes because, as Gasca said “we’re so good at it.”
Since the women of Pi Phi are known for their love of baked goods, Gasca suggested they bring their idea to Pi Beta Phi’s Vice President of Philanthropy, senior Robin Mahung.
“One of my favorite things about being Vice President of Philanthropy is initiating and organizing events,” Mahung said. She was happy, but not surprised when Gasca and Oatney suggested the cupcake sale. “Students initiate a lot of events.”
The Pi Beta Phis wanted to have a fundraising event this term and Cupcakes in a K-Box seemed like a perfect fit. They set the event during midterms, so students could buy the sweet treats as a pick-me-up for themselves or a friend during their grueling week.
“We’re going with the de-stress midterms angle,” Mahung said.
Mahung likes to think of the event as a win-win since students who buy cupcakes are “brightening up a friend’s day and making a difference in the life of a child.”
While tabling, the Pi Phis were enthusiastic about students’ response to the event.
“It’s been going really well so far,” senior and Pi Beta Phi member Rachel Hautzinger said last week. “I mean, really, who doesn’t like cupcakes?”
Her optimism was not unfounded. The event went on to raise $222.64 which will be split between helping abused children through the work of the Children’s Advocacy Fund and providing Tanzanian children education, health care and nutrition through the Kilimanjaro Childen’s Foundation.
Oatney is not a Pi Phi, she still helped with the project that she helped create. Although the Pi Phis executed the project, Gasca said Oatney still was a strong participant from the beginning until the final day.
“She baked a ton,” Gasca said.

Finding his musical direction
Democracy among Grecian ruins

Finding his musical direction
Most music majors — in fact, most college graduates — would give an arm and a leg to be in the shoes of Pier Debes ‘10...