Arts & Culture / Dance / Mosaic / September 20, 2012

Fine arts preview: Dance

Dancers cross their legs in “Everybody Wants You,” choreographed by senior Jenny Linder during the dress rehearsal of Terpsichore’s “Soles” on Nov. 10 in Harbach Theatre. (TKS/Archives)

Although many of Knox’s dancers find a home in the Auxiliary Gym, affectionately nicknamed the Aux, the building’s doors are open to everyone.

On Wednesday, Sept. 12, the Dance Department hosted an open house in the Aux to highlight some of the changes that students will see this year.

This fall and throughout the year, the department will be offering a variety of dance classes and workshops to the whole of the Knox community. Anyone who is passionate about dance or passionately curious is welcome to attend, as the department focuses on creating an environment where learning, improving and collaborating with others can happen.

The Terpsichore Dance Collective, or Terp, is not new to the culture of extracurricular clubs at Knox, but many of its policies are. Featuring an executive board of fresh faces, including President junior Evelyn Langley and Co-Production Managers juniors Kelsey Cullum and Kelsey Witzling, Terp has revised their mission statement to include the goal of “building a thriving, diverse dance community by creating educational and performance opportunities that foster exploration in the art of moving,” according to the group’s Facebook page.

These refocused goals became necessary with the astounding growth of Terp, as evidenced by the cast size for their performance this past spring term. With 140 students participating, it was not possible for the entire cast to remain in the green room of Harbach Theatre during the show, which can only hold 50 people in accordance with fire codes.

To put their revised mission into practice, Terp now allows cast sizes of only 50 participants to be divided amongst nine choreographers. Everyone is still encouraged to attend auditions and apply to choreograph.

Terp will also be offering more opportunities to get involved in dance with the addition of student-taught, student-attended dance classes, master classes, events on campus, and field trips.

This term’s Terp performances will be on Friday, Nov.9 and Saturday, Nov. 10.

Kate Mishkin
Kate Mishkin is a senior majoring in English literature and minoring in journalism. She started working for TKS as a freshman and subsequently served as managing editor, co-news editor and co-mosaic editor. Kate is the recipient of four awards from the Illinois College Press Association for news and feature stories and one award from the Associated Collegiate Press. She won the Theodore Hazen Kimble Prize in 2015 and 2014 and the Ida M. Tarbell Prize in Investigate Journalism in 2014. She has interned at FILTER Magazine, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and WGIL radio and the Virginian-Pilot.

Twitter: @KateMishkin
Chelsea Embree, Digital Editor
Chelsea Embree is a senior majoring in creative writing and minoring in art history. She previously served as co-mosaic editor and as an arts and features reporter for TKS. During the summer of 2013, she served as a content intern at The St. Louis Beacon. Chelsea has studied under former Random House copy chief Sean Mills and taught writing as a teaching assistant for First-Year Preceptorial. An avid blogger, she has written extensively about youth in St. Louis and maintains a lively poetry and nonfiction blog on Tumblr. She is also the director of communications for Mortar Board and co-president of Terpsichore Dance Collective.

Tags:  chelsea embree dance kate mishkin terp terpsichore

Fine arts preview: Music
Student's eyes opened by studies in Berlin

Kate Mishkin
Kate Mishkin is a senior majoring in English literature and minoring in journalism. She started working for TKS as a freshman and subsequently served as managing editor, co-news editor and co-mosaic editor. Kate is the recipient of four awards from the Illinois College Press Association for news and feature stories and one award from the Associated Collegiate Press. She won the Theodore Hazen Kimble Prize in 2015 and 2014 and the Ida M. Tarbell Prize in Investigate Journalism in 2014. She has interned at FILTER Magazine, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and WGIL radio and the Virginian-Pilot. Twitter: @KateMishkin