Arts & Culture / Dance / Mosaic / February 13, 2013

First ‘Love Your Body’ dance jam held

Freshman Michiko Lee sasses it up during an informal performance at Love Your Body week’s “Dance Jam” in the Auxiliary Gym Saturday, Feb. 9.  (Michelle Orr/TKS)

Freshman Michiko Lee sasses it up during an informal performance at Love Your Body week’s “Dance Jam” in the Auxiliary Gym Saturday, Feb. 9. (Michelle Orr/TKS)

Knox dancers became a part of something bigger by supporting Eve Ensler’s “One Billion Rising” movement during the Love Your Body Dance Showing.

On Valentine’s Day, people from around the world will dance to protest the fact that one in three women — totaling approximately one billion — are raped or beaten sometime in their lifetime. This year, to protest this abuse, Ensler has called people to dance and become “one billion rising.”

“We wanted to bring in a few new events,” sophomore and Students Against Sexism in Society Co-President Allie Fry said. “We thought that would be a great event to bring into our celebration of bodies.”

The show, which ran twice in the Auxiliary Gym on Feb. 9 at 7 and 7:30 p.m., was comprised of two choreographed pieces followed by an improvisational jam session when the audience was invited to join in.

“We had a pretty good response from the dance community,” Fry said.

Sophomore dancer Abby Kravis heard about the showing through a campus-wide email. She saw that sophomore Camille Brown was choreographing a dance and decided to participate.

“‘I like Camille, so I should be in her dance,’” she said. “She has a style that I’m good at.”

Brown’s dance was a piece that she had originally planned for the Terpsichore dance show before it was announced that the show would not happen this term. The piece was set to Muse’s cover of the song “Feeling Good.” According to Kravis, the dance was “very much about female empowerment.”

The dance was set on what Brown called a “typical evening out,” where the women dance provocatively and the men have the upper hand.

As the music shifts, so does the feel of the party, and by the song’s close, the women are able to decide what they want for themselves, so “the end of the night was something they choose,” said Brown.

The dance ended up being mostly improved, so Brown hopes to have a more concrete version of the piece in a later dance show.

Eighteen dancers took part in the pieces, which were choreographed by Brown and junior Portia Calhoun. Because the Auxiliary Gym space can only hold 50 people, this left 32 spaces for audience members and necessitated a second showing for the dances.

Fry described the intimate space as “a good way to get comfortable with the body with less people.”

The act of dancing is very closely connected the body. How someone feels about his or her body impacts how he or she dances.

“You have to be so comfortable in your own body to dance and look comfortable dancing,” Kravis said.

According to Fry, “No matter your ability, no matter your body, you can move,” which fits in with Love Your Body Week’s celebration of all body types.

Brown, who has been dancing since she was four, said that loving the body is also incredibly important for dancers, especially as they try to learn movements that are more advanced.

“Something that I learned as I got older is, as a dancer, you have to respect your body,” she said. “Your body is your instrument.”

Note: Camille Brown is a copy editor for The Knox Student.

Tags:  Abby Kravis Allie Fry Camille Brown Love Your Body Portia Calhoun

Rep Term costumers design looks for plays
In support of Jewell as Secretary of Interior