The Knox Student staff poses for a picture after winning first place in General Excellence in their division from the Illinois College Press Association Saturday, Feb. 23.
The Knox Student was recognized as one of the top college newspapers in Illinois on Saturday, winning first place in General Excellence in its division at the Illinois College Press Association annual convention.
The General Excellence award is based on three issues of the newspaper chosen by the convention staff and judged on content and design. This is the second time that TKS has won General Excellence in the last five years; the paper also received the honor in 2010.
In addition to General Excellence, TKS staffers won 12 other awards both in its division (nondailies with circulation under 4,000) and in the open division, which included 33 college papers from across the state of Illinois. These included:
- 1st place, Critical film review (open division): Ivan Keta
- 1st place, Front page layout: Julian Boireau and Charlie Gorney
- 1st place, Sports game story: Jackson White
- 1st place, Sports page design: Andrei Papancea and Jackson White
- 2nd place, Feature page design: Katy Sutcliffe
- 2nd place, Feature photo: Jessica Couvillier
- 2nd place, Sports page design: Andrei Papancea and Jackson White
- 3rd place, In-depth reporting: Anna Meier
- 3rd place, Other cartoon (open division): Elizabeth Schult
- Honorable mention, Column excluding sports (open division): Matt Barry
- Honorable mention, Editorial (open division): Staff
- Honorable mention, Sports feature story: Matt McKinney
Additionally, Associate Photo Editor Jason Deschamps was named a runner-up in the annual “Shoot Chicago” competition for the image he submitted.
illinois college press association
The Knox Student