Arts & Culture / Mosaic / April 10, 2013

Earth Month starts off with skills

sustainabilityWhat can be done in five minutes? Turns out, a lot.

Knox Advocates for Recycling and Environmental Support held their Earth Month 2013 Five-Minute Skill Share. During the event, Knox students, professors and one post-baccalaureate fellow shared their passions as the timer ticked.

In the short presentations, students learned how to do everything from baking bread to culling invasive species to scaring away nightmares.

The event is the first solo event for KARES Earth Month Festival, which will have events celebrating the planet for the entire month of April.

Junior and KARES co-president Danika Hill said that although this is not the first time the group has hosted a five minute skill share, she still likes holding the event.

“You get to see a side of [the presenters] you don’t see in class,” Hill said. “It’s a fun, easy going event.”
The event started with staff counselor Virginia Kasser’s recipe for five minute no-knead bread. She showed the bread in various stages before sharing it with the audience. Kasser claimed the book “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day” changed her life, since now her family has fresh bread most days.

Professor of Psychology Tim Kasser came up next with tips on how to deal with nightmares. His suggestions came from a Malaysian tribe.

In this method, upon waking the dreamer should re-imagine their dream from the beginning, as accurately as possible. When the dream’s “monster” comes in, Kasser said the dreamer should find a way to confront the monster. This could mean many things, whether it is confronting the monster, changing the monster or calling for help. After the monster has been it confronted, Kasser said the dream would shift, and the dreamer should then ask the monster for a gift.

“If you open yourself with various possibilities, you’ll be amazed,” he said.

More in the vein of the event’s Earth Month was post-baccalaureate fellow Elizabeth Cockrell ‘12’s rug making lessons, in which Cockrell taught the audience how to make a rug with a hula hoop and old t-shirts.

Cockrell used old t-shirts from the Free Store and Union Board tees that the school was going to throw out. The rug is a “great project for cutting things up and using it.”

Other presentations highlighted self-sufficiency (by raising chickens), conservation (culling of invasive species of plants in state forests), love of nature (birdwatching) and general fun (the moonwalk).

Tags:  crafts earth month free store kares nightmares no-knead bread skill share Union Board

Pink Flamingos not PC, but worthwhile
Knox Choir sings strong at Carnegie Hall