Mosaic / New Plays Festival / Reviews / Theater / April 26, 2013

New Plays keep rolling along with “Shooting,” “Hands” and “Roll”

Freshman Mitch Fischer and senior Nathan Johlas make a mess out of the office after taking drugs to get through their mundane jobs. Dazed and overcome with paranoia, they argue during a rehearsal for “On the Day of the Shooting” Thursday, April 25. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

Watching “On the Day of the Shooting,” “Filthy Hands” and “A Good Roll,” it was clear why the three plays had been put together. Each was a well-acted, well-directed production with a lot of humor, but none of them were the traditional well-made play.

The first play, “On the Day of the Shooting” by sophomore Noah Devros, satirizes the modern office environment. The play’s Dynacorp characterized the mechanically precise and often isolating nature of the workplace and presented the outsiders who thrive there.

Although it does not really have a plot and a few scenes did not seem to add to the play as a whole, its characters and situations are funny and well written. The play itself was verbose, but in the best sense of the word. The words built on themselves well, and the audience was often overtaken by laughter. Harbach Theatre was a good place to be.

Junior and director Ivan Keta was able to pull energy out of all of his actors. Every character, whether it was freshman Morgan Jellison as the by-the-book supervisor or freshman Holden Meier as a man who tried too hard to be congenial (as he could only relate to the world through television) brought a fully realized version of the role to the stage.

The second play, “Filthy Hands” by Dan Blask ’96, followed a short intermission. The play followed a liberal blogger (sophomore Paula  Castaños) who took a job with a man whom she thought was a moderate senator (junior Jon Helwelt).

The play was also funny, but it seemed that most of the story that was going on in the playwright’s mind never actually made it to the stage, leaving the audience feeling out of the loop. The strange world that the audience gets a glimpse of is an interesting and amusing one, and it is a pity that more of it did not make it to the stage.

“A Good Roll” by sophomore Oscar Hallas perfectly captures the experience of spending an hour listening to two high guys at a party and has just about as much of a story arc.

The play tells the story of two students, Charlie (sophomore Andrew Purvis) and Jack (freshman Katie Greve), who roll molly at a college party and spend the night watching the dance floor, trying to figure out who wants to get with who and why the college social scene works the way it does.

Although the dialogue sounds right and the play can be very funny, the most conflict the main characters have to go through is the disappointment of finishing off their orange juice.

The plays will be performed again on Saturday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m. in Harbach Theatre.

Tags:  A Good Roll Andrew Purvis Dan Blask Filthy Hands Holden Meier ivan keta Jon Helwelt Katie Greve Morgan Jellison new plays new plays festival New works New Works Festival Noah Devros On the Day of the Shooting Oscar Hallas Paula Castaños

Senate approves high tunnel growing infrastructure
Flunk Day 2013: Predictions, speculation, anticipation