Arts & Culture / Dance / Featured / Mosaic / May 22, 2013

Terpsichore explores its ‘Scope’

Sophomore Juan Enrique Irizarry performs in a dance by sophomore Camille Brown Wednesday, May 22. (Robert Turski/TKS)

Dancers and choreographers have been hard at work all term on the show, which will be performed in Harbach Theatre on Friday, May 24 and Saturday, May 25 at 6 p.m.

For senior Alex Kamins, for whom this will be a third and final Terp performance, it has been a time to go all out.  He gave it more time, deciding to perform in two dances, the first of which is based on the movie Space Jam. In the other — senior Kyla Tully’s piece which features soon-to-graduate Terp members — he volunteered to choreograph a segment of it.

“Since this is my last year here, I wanted to get involved with it as much as possible. … I wanted to challenge myself a lot this year. … It’s a little bit nervewracking, but also exciting,” he said.

This will be junior Jmaw Moses’ second time choreographing a piece for Terp and his first time choreographing hip hop specifically.  Moses, who grew up with hip hop but had never worked it into a piece, decided to do so to better capture the aggressive nature of his piece, which is loosely based on the story of Jesus and his apostles.

The most challenging aspect for him stemmed from the intricacy of the dance.

“I am the type of choreographer who really likes to make the audience’s eye dance. … No matter what part of the stage they’re looking at É they’re looking at something that’s interesting and just a little bit different. So I layer a lot of things … and that was definitely the most difficult part because I was constantly having to teach [multiple parts],” Moses said.

Freshman Maxine Quinney found the most rewarding and challenging parts of her experience dancing in Terp for the first time to be one and the same: a dancer since age 3 and a teacher for many years adjusting again to the role of student made it interesting to see how others interpreted a song.

“Both choreographers that I’ve had, they aren’t controlling, they’re very understanding, they’re okay with other people explaining it in their way, if someone needs help,” she said.

The vice president of Terp’s executive board, sophomore Allie Fry, has choreographed a piece set to slam poet Sonya Renee’s “The Body is Not An Apology,” which she will perform with junior Evelyn Langley.

She had never choreographed with spoken word before and had to adjust to differences between text and music. The duet form also made for special circumstances.

“In general, when you’re doing a duet … you have to … not only be comfortable working in your own skin, but working with each other,” she said. “Especially with this piece being so concerned with being present in your own body, it was important to connect on that level too.”

More casting cuts had to be made than in the fall, according to Fry, due to increased publicity from the fall show, plus classes offered throughout winter term.

“More people were … hearing about Terp in some capacity, so we had a really big turnout for auditions,” Fry said. “This is our second Terp show where we’ve made cuts. … It’s heartbreaking, but it also means that the people in this show have to be very dedicated, because they know they got a spot that someone else could have gotten.”

According to Moses, the spring performance stands out as “a strange Terp” due to its comparatively small cast and three duets. There is also “a lot of emotion throughout the entire show, whether that emotion is aggressive or fun, or is trying to invoke some kind of pathos, it’s there. There’s just so much going on,” he said.

Tags:  dance hip hop lady gaga sonya renee space jam terp terpsichore dance collective the body is not an apology

News Briefs: Storms bring chaos to Oklahoma
New Galesburg shop digs up vintage, modern