Arts & Culture / Dance / Mosaic / September 11, 2013

Embodied movement, contact improvisation come to campus

DanceIn keeping with the liberal arts tenet of interconnectedness, Knox will host workshops in embodied movement, a means of encouraging the development of the body’s intelligence to enhance any activity in which one may engage.

Jeff Wallace, a specialist in contact improvisation, contemporary dance, and physical theatre, will be leading the workshops. They will be held on Thursday, Sept. 12 from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., Friday, Sept. 13 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m., and Monday, Sept. 16 and Tuesday, Sept. 17  from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. Additionally, a contact improvisation workshop is scheduled for 12:30 to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 14. All five are open to anyone interested and will take place in the Auxiliary Gym.

The program has gained the support of the Theatre Depaprtment, Dance Program, Terpsichore Dance Collective, the office of the Dean of the Students, the Cultural Events Committee, and the Liz Jahnke Metz Fund, enabling Knox to bring Wallace’s talents to the community’s movers.

The Contact Improv workshop will also signify the kick-off of Terpsichore’s fall performance opportunity: a sight-specific improv festival slated for mid-October.

According to the proponents of embodied movement, “if you move, you can learn to move more effectively, efficiently, economically, safely, thoroughly, expressively, and creatively.”

Tags:  contact improv cultural events committee embodied movement Jeff Wallace Liz Jahnke Metz Fund terpsichore theatre

TKS Asks: What do you think of the Class of 2017?
Caxton Club brings Peter Orner to The Space