Arts & Culture / Mosaic / September 12, 2013

New students and their stuff: The eccentric side

With the appearance of new faces on campus this week comes something else: stuff. And lots of it. As any Orientation Leader can tell you, students do not tend to pack lightly for the first term of their college career. Still, only so much space exists in which to pack, travel, and ship things. And though Galesburg is not exactly a thriving metropolis, it meets many basic needs with Target, and even local venues like the Antique Mall. However, some stuff, though not strictly necessary for the term, cannot be left behind.

Freshman Liam Lindberg holds pet chameleon Gandolf the Green. Lindberg houses his pet chameleon and gecko in Seymour Union. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

Sometimes, this “stuff” is not exactly stuff at all. It did not take long for word to spread on campus that a Seymour resident was the proud owner of a chameleon named Gandolf the Green.  Freshman Liam Lindberg, of Downer’s Grove, Ill., did not trust his bug-eyed buddy, nor his gecko Reptar, to the care of his parents, explaining that they would “probably die.”

“Everyone’s [been] really curious to see what they were,” he said of his pets, which live in spacious, jungle-like habitats.

Sometimes passion, not caution, justifies extra packing, as freshman Cass Snyder of Saint Louis, Mo. found.  Requiring her record player for radio, iPod, and the rest of her technology, Snyder felt it would be “totally asinine to not bring the whole [record] collection” too.

“These were a dumpster find. I guess old people threw out their record collection,” she said of the records, which include very little new music.

Freshman Cass Snyder displays her record player and collection. Snyder's collection stems from her interest in different forms of media and art. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

Freshman Cass Snyder displays her record player and collection. Snyder’s collection stems from her interest in different forms of media and art. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

“A lot of them are really weird, a lot of them are stuff that nobody knows about, nobody listens to anymore. And I feel like, in order to be a well-rounded person, you need to consume all sorts of media, all sorts of art. … I feel like it’s important to your development as a person to go back to your roots.”

With her collection at the ready, she intends to continue her tradition of playing Violent Femmes and doing “horrendous Gordon Gano impressions…whenever I’m bored, whenever I’m sad, whenever I’m cleaning my room.”

Freshman Jessica Chrzan from Chicago, Ill. brought something small and easily overlooked upon first glance: a plush, red Winnie the Pooh pillow.

“When I was really little, I saw it at Target…so my mom bought it for me and then when I went to Poland with my grandmother, I took it with me and lost it on the plane there…but then I ended up getting it back. … Since I got it back, I’ve just been attached to it.”

Freshman Jessica Chrzan holds the Winnie the Pooh pillow she's had since her childhood. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

Freshman Jessica Chrzan holds the Winnie the Pooh pillow she’s had since her childhood. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

A friend suggested she pack stuff that reminded her of home, “that’ll make you feel comfortable,” and the worldly Pooh Bear made the cut.

Tags:  Cass Snyder class of 2017 Jessica Chrzan Liam Lindberg music packing pets

Convocation kicks off 176th academic year
Peter Orner Reads from "Last Car Over the Sagamore Bridge" at The Space (video)