Campus / News / Student Senate / October 21, 2013

Senate roundup: Post Lobby may get facelift

Student SenateCampus Life is focusing this year on the long-term goal of renovating Post Lobby. They hope to relieve the consistent issues with the Post Grab-N-Go by placing it in the current location of the C-Store and moving the store to a different part of the lobby. Additional goals of Campus Life include repainting a mural downtown and working with Director of Campus Safety John Schlaf to identify places around campus that might be unsafe at night.

Here is a summary of the topics discussed and decisions made at last week’s Student Senate meeting:

• The Dining Services Committee aims to spice up the weekly specials with burrito and crêpe nights, if approved. “Pro-tips” will be popping up around the café to suggest food combinations and other ways to enhance their cafeteria experience.
  • Vice President junior Devin Hanley will begin holding office hours for a couple hours a week for any student on campus to bring requests and charges to her in the Senate office next to the Taylor Lounge.
  • President senior Phillip Bennett introduced an additional aspect to Senate this year. Each week Senate will overview their constitution and make amendments and updates as necessary, as well as increasing the senators familiarity with their rules of governing.
  • Representatives from faculty committees active this week summarized their committee’s actions. From curriculum it was announced a new political science course on game theory will premiere Winter Term 2014 taught by Associate Professor of Political Science Andrew Civettini. Campus Diversity is in the process of surveying faculty and soon to be surveying students as well on how diversity is included in the classrooms around Knox. A forum on the topic is likely to occur in November.
  • The results from a Cable TV Survey set up by Vice President & Chief Information Officer Steve Hall were collected Oct. 18. A total of 647 students participated in the survey, allowing Hall to move onto the next step in deciding the best solution within the new budget.
  • The Finance Committee presented a budget appeal from Harambee for $1,565 in the Spring Term budget. This money will go toward their Annual Soccer Tournament, which gives out prizes and provides food for the spectators.
  • The Sustainability Committee put in a request for new camping gear, which will be held in the Environmental Studies department.
  • A vote on approving a series of amendments on the Honor Code will take place next week.

Tags:  game theory grab-'n'go harambe honor code post lobby senate

“A Lot Like You”: filmmaker shares the personal, universal
College names six new trustees