Arts & Culture / Mosaic / October 25, 2013

Gingarte to get down at Knox

DanceMonday, Oct. 28 through Wednesday, Oct. 30, Marisa Cordeiro of Gingarte Capoeira Chicago will be at Knox College to teach open workshops in capoeira and Afro-Brazilian dance.

Capeoria (pronounced cap-ooh-air-ah) is an art form that combines martial arts, acrobatics and dance. It began in Brazil, primarily developed by those of African descent. Quick moves that employ power and speed are its trademark and it can be performed, played as a game, or used as a form of self-defense, depending on the situation.

On Monday, a capoeira workshop will be offered from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Auxiliary Gym. The workshop in Afro-Brazilian dance will occur  at the same time and place on Tuesday. Another capeoria workshop is set for Wednesday from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

All workshops are open to the entire Knox campus and community, regardless of skill level or experience. Any questions should be directed to Associate Professor of Dance Jen Smith.

Still curious what capeoria looks like? Check out what Gingarte Capeoria has been up to in Chicago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL858C790BD7F8C62E&v=U9-_LaSuF7g#t=11

Tags:  Africa afro-brazilian dance brazil capeoria dance gingarte capeoria chicago jen smith marisa cordeiro martial arts residency

Improv Club brings last round of laughs
Goblet of the Derby sorts charity for Safe Harbour