Arts & Culture / Mosaic / November 11, 2013

Seven signs it’s getting too cold outside

In the flurry of midterms and the stirrings of final projects, it might come as a surprise that winter is just around the corner — until you step outside into a fog of your own breath, glasses steamed up and immediately remind yourself to invest in a pair of gloves, that is.

If you’ve also experienced the following lately, then it might be time to hunker down for winter.

1. You’ve realized that you didn’t pack enough sweaters. Parents have probably gotten last-minute pleas for an emergency care package.
  2. Speaking of outer wear, an army of commuter coats and warm clothing resembling the Michelin Man are beginning to amass. Those from warmer climes might even be adjusting to the bone-chilling Midwestern cold by doubling up on jackets.
  3. You get peeved when you see the newspaper stand blocking the Gizmo’s main entrance, forcing you to choose another, colder path.
  4. Being locked out of a suite by friends is met by urgent pounding of the door and several missed calls.
  5. You’re already taking your relationship with your bed to the next level — that, and your extra blanket, coziest jammies and fuzzy slippers.
  6. If you’re in Post, you no longer resent the high heat at night.
  7. You’ve become a tea drinker — even if it isn’t, well, your cup o’ tea — just to stay warm and because you’ve already consumed a frightening amount of coffee in preparation for finals.

Perhaps it’s time to start nudging your parents in the direction of that tropical vacation — or  to start looking into hibernation.

Tags:  bed care packages coffee finals gizmo hibernation indoor heating jackets Michelin Man midterms sweaters tea winter

Steve Davenport to read at Knox
'Next Fall' hits home in Harbach