Arts & Culture / Featured / Mosaic / January 6, 2014

4 things to think about on your arctic day off

Icicles hang off the side of the gizmo during the snow storm Sunday, Jan. 5. (Michelle Orr/TKS)

With a foot of snow on the ground, a frigid windchill well into the negatives in the air, and Knox College’s boiler system on the fritz, the best we can all do is praise this auspicious winter Flunk Day for freeing us from the concerns of trudging to classes and meetings and try to stay toasty.

Beyond that, here are some things to consider as you while away the hours:

1. Ponder how the leagues of Knox squirrels handle these circumstances. And watch what this guy has to say for the answer.
  2. Brush up on your knowledge of human anatomy and, you know, why it’s important to wear a hat. If you do decide to brave the icy beyond, that is.
  3. Become a pillow-fort architect and charge a fee of hot chocolate to suite mates who want to enter. That, or induct them into your scheme of building a pillow-castle.
  4. Make your trip to the C-store count. Figure out just what your microwave is capable of creating.

Tags:  cold dorm food hats Midwest snow storm squirrels winter wear

Snow storm hits, students and faculty prevail (Photo gallery)
The week ahead at Knox