Arts & Culture / Mosaic / January 9, 2014

Brazilian guitarist to offer experience, entertainment

On Saturday, Jan. 11, Brazilian guitarist and singer Luciano Antonio will be arriving at Knox for a percussion workshop and a performance, which signals the start of the Music Department’s Winter Jazz Series.

The Build a Batacuda workshop will take place at 4 p.m. in Jay Rehearsal Hall, where participants will get ready to become part of a bateria (a Samba percussion ensemble). The instruments they will be able to learn include Surdo, Caixa (snare drum), agogo (bells), tamborim and chocalho (shaker). Non-musicians are also welcome at this Brazilian samba percussion event.

That evening, at 7:30 p.m. in Kresge Recital Hall, Antonio will perform. From rural Iretama, Parana in southern Brazil, his music synthesizes the sounds of traditional Brazilian folk and Bossa Nova with a contemporary jazz aesthetic, according to Professor of Music Laura Lane. The event is made possible by support from support from the Galesburg Community Foundation and the Stellyes Center for Global Studies.

Tags:  agogo batacuda brazil caixa chocalho kresge Luciano Antonio music music department Parana percussion samba Stellyes Center for Global Studies tamborim winter jazz

RAW VIDEO: Water pours from ceiling in Seymour Union
Today in the news: debt, minimum wage and the "Bridgegate Scandal"