Campus / News / January 22, 2014

A new beginning for WVKC

WVKC has undergone some big changes this school year. The streaming has gone digital, and the station has a new website. Additionally, the staff members have worked to reopen the music library and create new opportunities for student DJs.

Sophomore Carolyn Dussault is hosting three radio shows this term, while also serving as WVKC Programming Director.

“The biggest difference I notice is that I don’t get a phone call from a weird person in Galesburg as often, which is kind of a bummer,” she said of the digital format. “But I think there are really cool things about HD, and with the new website it’s becoming really easy to stream it and to have a more global dialogue with people off-campus in radio.”

Dussault said that she thinks the station is still at the end of the transition process in switching to digital, and that the staff is still adapting to the new changes.

Freshman Kyle Hall is WVKC’s Event Coordinator and hosts a radio show.

“Streaming online is so much easier than it used to be and so many more people can listen to WVKC from all across the country,” he said. “The reality of it is that college students don’t have radios, college kids might have radios in their car, but also hardly anyone at Knox has a car. Everyone has a laptop. More people can listen to WVKC now, I think.”

Dussault said one of the most exciting changes for her is the new library.

“This is something that students from decades ago were working on in the radio station, and it has been open in the past, but now we’re sort of reorganizing and revamping it.”

The library houses LP records, tapes and CDs that are available for students to either check out or listen to in the studio.

Looking ahead, Dussault said that she would like to see more WVKC events like mix CD exchanges, workshops on different music genres and hosting people who work in professional radio to talk to DJs and interested students.

Hall said that he would like to listen to more student radio shows and encourage other students to do the same.

“I personally want to listen to more people’s shows … And make sure more students know about WVKC and that they can listen to their friends’ shows.”

WVKC plans to bring more live acts to Knox throughout the rest of the school year, including some larger acts in the spring. On Friday, Jan. 24, WVKC is hosting a hip-hop show in the Roger Taylor Lounge at 8:30 p.m. Rich Jones, who came to Knox with Netherfriends in October, will be headlining. Other acts will include Impolite $ociety, Norman and Knox junior Griffin Belzer, who DJs under the name GRYFN.

Reflecting on the importance of radio stations, like WVKC, Dussault said, “Independent radio is one of the coolest mediums to have an individual voice and perspective on the world, and I just really hope that the Knox community is appreciating it. … I encourage everyone to be a part of the radio station and have shows.”

Tags:  cds Galesburg Kyle Hall lp records programming radio show tape wvkc

Campus Safety Log: Rash of sign thefts
Art exhibit to foster contemplation amid chaos