Campus / News / January 28, 2014

SMURF money to be used to rehab Post Lobby

Post Lobby is an ideal location to gather: close to central campus with a convenient source of food for late-night cravings. However, the sparsely decorated lower-floor needs a facelift to make students settle in for a while.

Interior designer Heather Olsen, who also designed the Taylor Lounge, created a layout plan that fills the empty space with clusters of tables and chairs to give students a better place to study and socialize than before. Other aesthetic changes like new drapery and lighting are planned as well.

As a body of students, Student Senate is interested in contributing to the endeavor, the estimated cost of which set at $50,000. Senate turned to a fund of reserve student money, SMURF, to assist.

SMURF stands for Special Meeting on the Use of the Restricted Fund. The restricted fund is collected from leftover students activity funds at the end of each academic year. The name comes from the ad-hoc committee formed to bring down the fund’s balance of over $150,000 in 2011, when money piled up over 10 years of little use. Of that money, $50,000 is on reserve in case of enrollment shortfall. The $50,000 number protects against a 50 student shortfall for three consecutive years.

A much smaller buildup is starting to form once again. Vice President of Finance Tom Axtell spoke with senate on Jan. 23, urging the members to stay on top of the fund and regularly use excess money in the restricted fund. Supporting the Post Lobby project is a way for them to do so. The senators approved $3,600 of SMURF money toward Post Lobby.

For the project to move forward, its capital funds request must be approved at the February meeting of the executive committee.

Tags:  post lobby senate SMURF tom axtell

8 Ways to make the most of winter term
Voice of Reason: A critique of the Munich excuse