Film festival focuses on food

Kicking off the first of three screenings, Garden Club hosted a viewing of the film “Food Matters” on Sunday, Feb. 2, in conjunction with KARES. This film focused on the lack of attention the medical industry pays to nutrition and on changes people can make in their own lives to improve their diets.

Senior and President of Garden Club Emily Cooney said the club hopes to promote healthy eating by “doing this food series and having more of a dialogue out there that will increase people’s awareness of food in general.”

Some of the issues raised in the film were about the lack of nutrition in most people’s diets and the medical industry’s ignorance of healthy eating habits. This allowed students in attendance to consider whether or not they are able to eat healthily at Knox.

“I think healthy eating is possible, but I think it’s a little difficult to get all the nutrients that are necessary. … There are certain things you can get that are healthy, but I don’t think there are that many options,” freshman Lauren Hogan said.

Hogan noted that in order for students to be healthy, they might need to make their own food in the cafeteria with the ingredients provided.

Cooney shared this sentiment.

“I feel if you are creative enough, there’s a ton of ingredients there that you can really make whatever you want,” Cooney said. “There’s the whole salad bar and there’s always wraps and sandwich breads.”

Cooney hopes the cafeteria further encourages students to make their own creations in the cafeteria, and that projects like Zine Club’s upcoming Caf Cookbook will do so.

Freshman Miranda Adams, who practices a vegan diet, said that she would like to see the cafeteria take more initiative to help students know what they can be eating in order to get the recommended amount of vitamins and minerals.

“The more information available or the more interested they seem to be in your health as a student, the easier it is for you to take that initiative and start to realize what’s missing,” Adams said.

Hogan and Adams both said that when watching the film, they wondered if a student would be able to follow a raw diet when eating in the cafeteria.

“It kind of made me wonder if the cafeteria would be able to support a choice to eat more raw foods, and I don’t know,” Adams said. “I know it’s kind of hard to serve the needs of everyone but healthy eating is important.”

Hogan suggested that if the cafeteria were thinking about making changes to their offerings, they could send out a survey to students to see what they would be interested in eating.

She said the cafeteria could “have people do that before bringing food in, to see what the reactions would be.”

“I don’t hate the cafeteria food,” Adams said. “I appreciate what they’re doing in terms of the food that they provide, because it really doesn’t suck and it’s not like it lacks nutrients. … Sometimes it gets repetitive, but it could definitely be worse, especially for someone like me.”

Garden Club will be showing two more films on Sundays this month, on Feb. 8 and Feb. 15 at 2 p.m. in the Roger Taylor Lounge. The second film they will show is called “The Garden” and focuses on a community garden in Los Angeles after the riots in the 90s. The final film is named “Fresh” and examines food and nutrition, mainly from the perspectives of farmers. Free hot chocolate from The Beanhive and popcorn will be provided at the events.

Tags:  caf cookbook emily cooney garden club healthy kares

Campus Safety Log: Campus Safety and GPD respond to threats made to a student by an acquaintance
Work visas pose problem