It’s Week Nine. The sheer terror of those two words is reason enough for the emphasis of capitalization. This is the last scramble before finals, and, apparently, a great time for professors to load on huge projects at the last minute.
But there are some silver linings. Here, find nine reasons why it’s OK that it’s Week Nine:
- The end is near. Not meaning that the end of the world and, therefore, everyone’s demise, is nigh. Not at all. Instead: The end of winter term is near. Winter term, that dreaded cold beast, is almost over. Really.
- Consequently, spring break is almost here. Whether you’re vacationing in Hawaii or bumming around in Galesburg, this is a huge reason for celebration. Spring break means no homework, no commitments and all the sleep you could possibly want.
- There are still a ton of fun things to do now. While it’s still difficult to leave bed when there’s weather that screams anything but “March,” it’s probably worth it. There’s Senior Symposium, theatre, a Terp show in Harbach, various academic talks and sporting events all this week. Check out Knox’s calendar for a full listing.
- Friday is payday. Enough said. Go splurge — you’ll have earned it after surviving this week.
- And Friday’s forecast includes a balmy high temperature in the 40s. You could actually leave bed easily. And not have to put on that bulky winter coat that makes you feel like a marshmallow. This is perfect timing for the last weekend before finals.
- On that note: This is the last full week of classes. Let that sink in. Next week, you won’t have to wake up for that second hour on Wednesdays. You won’t have to be anywhere you don’t want to be.
- Library extended hours start soon. If you’re really stressing about finals, you’ll get extra time to study starting on Sunday, March 9. The library will be open until 2 a.m. through finals.
- We get two reading days for finals. It may be easy to focus on other schools getting a whole week to study, but once upon a time, not too long ago, Knox only granted one reading day for all of finals. Doubling that is probably the most helpful thing that’s ever happened.
- Literally no one cares anymore. If all else fails, there’s solidarity in our struggle. No one will judge you for wearing pajamas to class. For the third time this week. Student workers at the Gizmo will understand if, yes, you really are getting a fourth large coffee today. So let it all hang out and just do what you need to do to survive.