Community / News / October 8, 2014

Screaming fun for a good cause

The "Haunted Drive-In" recently opened on W. Main Street by the AGES Community non-profit. (Callie Rouse/TKS)

The Haunted Drive-In recently opened on W. Main Street by the AGES Community non-profit. (Callie Rouse/TKS)

As each day grows colder and pumpkin scents the air, haunted attractions start to appear. Lucky for Galesburg residents, it won’t take a trip to Peoria or the Quad Cities to discover a good scare. AGES Community non-profit has recently opened a haunted drive-in on W. Main Street with the dual hopes of creating weekend entertainment and helping the community.

“We’ve been fighting for two years to get a haunted house in Galesburg, and we finally got it done,” scarer Chris Miller said. Miller has volunteered with AGES Community since they began scaring at Fright High, an abandoned high school in Abingdon, Illinois. They had to shut down operations in 2013, when keeping in line with Illinois State Haunted Attraction requirements to install a water sprinkling system was too costly for the group. After a year off, the non-profit found a new home in the Blue Moon Drive-In Theater.

Already, the “Haunted Drive-In” is proving an attraction for Knox students.

“It was terrifying, especially since I was nominated leader,” sophomore Shelby Knowles said.

For $10 per person, residents and students can participate in the walk-through attraction. Admission will be $10 a carload on Oct. 12, as well as at the Oct. 31 post-scare showing of Rob Zombie’s Halloween at 11 p.m.

“Some of the proceeds go to our actual charity, AGES Community, and at the end of the run we pick local charities [to give the remainder of the proceeds to],” said Robert McDorman, a co-chair of AGES Community.

The non-profit came together by way of the group’s joint love of haunted houses and helping their community through volunteerism. When they aren’t hosting their haunted attraction, they volunteer in the Knox County area.

“We still need volunteers,” Miller said. “The more we can get the better.”

Junior Lianna Davis, who did the walk-through with Knowles, splinted from her group near the end, provoking taunts about her survival in a horror movie from Knowles.

“There was just so much adrenaline, so little body to put it in,” Davis said in her defense.

“We live for this every year,” Miller said as break ended and the scaring began anew.

Tags:  AGES community Galesburg halloween Haunted Drive-In haunted house volunteer

Eid celebrated at Knox
Political Pundits: Illinois Governors Race