Arts & Culture / Mosaic / October 9, 2014

Quiver wants your genre fiction

Patrons of the new, the weird, the fantastical, the out-of-the-box: look no further than Quiver Magazine for your imagination’s fix.

Co-Editor-in-Chief senior Maz King, who has been with the publication for three years, says that the journal aims to assimilate “a certain niche of writing at Knox that is underrepresented, or even undervalued, that maybe doesn’t fit CatchÉ We hope to fill that void and highlight excellent pieces that people might be afraid to submit to other magazines.”

In the past, Quiver published three magazines a year, each with a focus on a specific genre.  Things are changing, however, according to King.      “For the future hopefully we can get a variety of genresÉ Now, we publish twice a year and accept any genre, even subgenres like urban fantasy.We publish prose, poetry and drama.”

King’s attitude toward publishing represents the selfless core of student publications.

She recalls what first attracted her to publishing, saying, “For me, personally, it’s about creating something that a community put together. That’s why we have write-ins twice a term, we have events É so that there can be more appreciation for genre fiction.”

As for the logistics, Quiver typically gets “around 30 submissions and publishes 10 to 15 of them,” but submissions have been lagging for Quiver and the other publications this term.

The submission drive deadline has been extended until Oct. 13, and should be submitted your work to quiversubmissions@knox.edu.

The last issue of Quiver came out in the Spring of 2014. The current submission drive ends Oct. 13. (Casey Mendoza/TKS)

Alex White

Tags:  compositions creativity drive magazine publication Quiver

The good, the bad and the Arsène Wenger
Gerard Way begins anew

Alex White