Jazz Residency concert features Donny McCaslin

Earlier this week students learned improvisation techniques from world-famous saxophonist, composer, bandleader and music educator Donny McCaslin. Now, to complete the second annual Jerome Mirza Jazz Residency, students will be able to hear McCaslin, as well as the Knox Jazz Ensemble and the Cherry Street Combo, in concert. Hosted tonight at 7 p.m., the concert is free and open to the public in Harbach Theater.

As stated on the event Facebook page, McCaslin “represents the cutting edge of jazz composition and improvisation.” He got his start with ensembles such as Gary Burton Quintet, the Maria Schneider Orchestra and the Dave Douglas Quintet. In 2008 and 2009 he won the Downbeat Critics Poll for “Rising Star on the Tenor Saxophone.” The band performing with him tonight, Casting for Gravity Band, is comprised of Henry Hey on keyboards, Tim Lefebvre on bass and Mark Giuliana on drums.

More details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/events/607601716017724/?ref=br_tf.

Tags:  Cherry Street Combo concert Jazz Jerome Mirza Jazz Residency knox jazz ensemble

Radical Compassion: Where our stories all collide (Part I)
Political Pundits: Ebola comes stateside