Campus / Campus Safety / Community / News / November 3, 2014

Security app allows students to report suspicious activity, safety status

As smartphones continue to dominate, Campus Safety has found a way to make them work even better. Rave Guardian, a security phone app tailored toward colleges, now services Knox College in three main ways: users can call or text suspicious information to Campus Safety, get assistance from Campus Safety or 911 when trouble arises and keep personal “Guardians” alert on safety statuses.

Instead of one-sided communication coming from Campus Safety, the Rave Guardian, or Knox Guardian, app allows students and staff to send text or photo tips to directly to Campus Safety when they spot suspicious activity or call in on-campus emergencies. In off-campus instances, the quick link to 911 can be used.

For the Guardian portion the app, students can create a list of people to contact, whether it be an RA, roommate, suitemate, friend or Campus Safety itself. Students send out regular updates on their status in unsafe or cautionary situations and the phone will alert the Guardians on how the user is doing and if their session expires before they deactivate it, the Guardians are alerted of the potential problem.

In the campus-wide email sent out by Director of Campus Safety John Schlaf, he encouraged everyone to sign up and pointed to the app as an important new tool for the Knox community, both on and off campus.

Tags:  app Campus Safety John Schlaf Knox Guardian Rave Guardian security app

Sports Briefs: wins for Prairie Fire
Student Senate meeting highlights