Garden Club hosts canning workshop

Junior Sophia Spooner and junior Natalie Donahue cut oranges to make marmalade at Wilson House on Feb. 5, 2015. (Jonathan Yeoh/TKS)

Senior Leslie Carman learned how to can vegetables while growing up with her mom. Last week, she brought her talent to the Knox campus at an event, “Canning 101,” co-hosted by Eco House and Garden Club. The event walked students through the process of canning food for storage, and was held Feb. 5 in Wilson House.

“It’s a good thing for people to know how to can,” Carman said. “If the apocalypse comes, you’re ready. Or if you just want to save some money.”

About 10 students came to the workshop, where they canned tomatoes and made “Bourbon Blood Orange Marmalade,” which was also canned.

Freshman Miranda Ran hadn’t canned or gardened at Knox before, but had done some gardening at home.

“I came because I’m interested in gardening and am thinking about declaring a major in environmental studies. And I came here just for fun,” Ran said.

Students in attendance started by washing and cutting up oranges and lemons for the marmalade, as well as the tomatoes. They then boiled the ingredients needed for the recipes and afterward placed them into jars. The jars were then boiled in a large pot with the tomatoes or marmalade in them.

According to Carman, canned fruits and vegetables are supposed to keep for a year, but frequently are good for much longer

Freshman Lindsey Scott said that she came to the event because she wanted to learn to can tomatoes and teach her mom when she returned home. She said that her family sometimes makes freezer jam, but she had never canned before.

“I’m really interested in cooking and baking,” Scott said. “I want to be a food scientist.”

Garden Club treasurer and junior Nick Liberko said that the club has been wanting to hold this event for a while and thought it would be appropriate to do in the winter.

“Garden Club for most of the year, obviously in the fall and spring, we get to do a lot of gardening, so in the winter we always want to do things that are tangential to gardening,” he said.

Liberko used to can with his family when he was young and said that he still remembers the basics of the practice.

“It’s a good practical skill to be able to have, especially if you’re trying to live out of your garden,” he said.

Tags:  canning canning food garden club gardening

Students fight problems in housing lottery
One month in, campus adjusts to Alumni Hall