Campus / Featured / News / February 25, 2015

Six theme houses approved

Theme Houses (web)

The theme housing process for the 2015-16 year has ended after a full term of work between Senate and applicants to decide who would make the cut. Passing the Senate’s selections without alterations, the Student Life Committee officially approved the six houses granted theme house status next year: Harambee House, French House, Queer & Ally House (Q&A), Here Be Dragons, Music House and MeCHA House.

The four houses not granted theme house status were Friendly Motivators Guiding You Through (FIMBIT), Just Dance, Community House and International House of People (IHOP). They were not selected because of overlap with existing organizations or because they lacked a strong theme.

Sophomore Becky Benner and First-year Dan Perez garner support for French House during the Themed House Exposé last Wednesday. (Sean Treacy/TKS)

Sophomore Becky Benner and freshman Dan Perez garner support for French House during the Themed House Exposé last Wednesday. (Sean Treacy/TKS)

Just Dance overlapped with dance groups already on campus. Community House, geared toward Greek-style philanthropy,  overlapped with Greek organizations and the Center for Community Service. IHOP was redundant, as an international house already exists on campus and groups like International Club promote conversations between international students. FIMBIT was originally proposed as a girls-only safe space, but after alterations that retracted this restriction, Senate was unclear as to its purpose as a theme house.

Returning theme houses this year are Harambee House and Q&A, the latter of which has existed each year since 2009. All of the theme houses were granted the house of their choice, except for Here Be Dragons, which was offered a townhouse.

Commenting on the process, Associate Dean of Students Craig Southern said, “This was really, really smooth,” in comparison to recent years.

Tags:  Craig Southern french house Harambee House here be dragons mecha house music house Q&A house Queer & Ally House Student Life Committee Student Senate theme housing

Compost system recovers from difficulties
Program launching for international students