Hord to take leave of absence

Frederick L. Hord, Professor and Chair of Africana Studies  addresses the Knox community for the Martin Luther King Day Convocation on Monday, Jan. 21, 2013 in Harbach Theatre. (Jason Deschamps/TKS)

Frederick L. Hord, Professor and Chair of Africana Studies addresses the Knox community for the Martin Luther King Day Convocation on Monday, Jan. 21, 2013 in Harbach Theatre. (Jason Deschamps/TKS)

Professor and Chair of Africana Studies Fred Hord has accepted a two-year position at Northern Illinois University and will be taking a leave of absence during this time, according to a campus-wide email sent by Dean of the College Laura Behling on Friday.

According to Behling’s email, it was announced on Tuesday that the Association of Black Culture Centers (ABCC) will be moving its headquarters to Northern Illinois University on July 1. Hord is the founder of the ABCC and will be moving with the program to support the transition.  Executive Assistant of the ABCC Terry Duffy will also move with Hord.

The ABCC has been housed at Knox for 24 years, according to Behling. She said that because of Hord’s leave, the college will soon begin searching for a full-time visiting professor of Africana Studies.

Hord came to Knox in 1988. Behling said that at this time there were only three courses related to Black Studies.

“During his tenure at Knox College, Professor Hord has been integral to the growth of the Africana Studies program,” Behling wrote.

She said that the college will continue to honor Hord’s legacy at Knox and support the cultural centers around campus and participate in the ABCC network.

Tags:  abcc africana studies association of black culture centers Fred Hord laura behling Northern Illinois University terry duffy

"Mosque Alert" explores themes of identity, prejudice
Someone's in the kitchen with John Schlaf