Knox to give out three honorary degrees

Knox Collegeannounced that three individuals will receive honorary degrees at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony. The recipients will be Bill Whitaker, who is also delivering the Commencement address, June Cross and Matthew Berg ’00.

Bill Whitaker will receive an honorary degree at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony, where he will also deliver the Commencement address.

Whitaker is an Emmy Award-winning journalist and currently is a correspondent on CBS New’s 60 Minutes. He is known for his profiles on Barbara Streisand, Mike Tyson, Norman Lear and Gladys Knight. He has also interviewed First Lady Michelle Obama and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

June Cross will receive an honorary degree at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony.

Cross is a two time Emmy-Award winning writer and producer. She has worked on eight documentaries for PBS’s Frontline and was also an executive producer of the 2003 series This Far From Faith, which focused on African American religious experience. Now she is in pre-production on a film about HIV in rural America. She is a tenured professor at Columbia University and founded a program in documentary filmmaking at the Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism.

Matthew Berg '00 will receive an honorary degree at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony.

Matthew Berg ’00 will receive an honorary degree at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony.

Berg is the co-founder and chief executive officer of Ona, a company that assists non-governmental organizations with data analysis and collection. It has worked with clients including UNICEF, the World Bank and the World Health Organization. Prior to launching Ona, he worked on ChildCount+, which is a health monitoring system in Africa that helped reduce the child mortality rates. Time magazine named him one of the “100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2010 for this achievement. He graduated from Knox in 2000, double majoring in computer science and integrated international studies.

They will receive their degrees at the Commencement Ceremony on Sunday, June 7.

Tags:  2015 commencement bill whitaker ChildCount+ Columbia University commencement Emmy honorary degree june cross Knox Knox College matthew berg Ona time magazine UNICEF

Sighting Andrea
Youth a red flag for Knox