Nearly $2,000 raised for Nepal

Students gather on the Gizmo patio on Sunday, May 3 for "Light up for Nepal." Students lit candles to remember the lives of those lost and injured due to the earthquake in Nepal on April 25. (Lizzie Wisdom/TKS)

Students gather on the Gizmo patio on Sunday, May 3 for “Light up for Nepal.” Students lit candles to remember the lives of those lost and injured due to the earthquake in Nepal on April 25. (Lizzie Wisdom/TKS)

In the days following the April 29 Nepal earthquake, the support for Nepalese students from the college and students was immediate.

Nepalese students were contacted by President Teresa Amott and International Student Coordinator Rebecca Eckart asking how they could be supportive. Tabling in Seymour Union, the students were approached unsolicited by students asking how they could donate and to what organizations.

“It was just kind of overwhelming, the support, but it was great,” junior Tanika Pradhan said.

At this time, Nepal fundraisers have received $1,786.32 from individuals and student groups. Some money from recent events has not yet been collected and a few more events will occur before Spring Term ends.

In the Facebook group “Knox for Nepal,” which shows what events around campus are donating proceeds to Nepal, sophomore Riya Tiwari shared that all donations from Knox will be doubled by an anonymous donor.

It has yet to be decided which relief organization the money will go toward. The Red Cross is a potential recipient, but it could also go toward a more local group. Pradhan’s father works for a tourism company called the Yeti Group, which has created the Yeti Foundation to fly helicopters to remote areas and assist people there. This group may also receive some of the proceeds.

Pradhan said Greek organizations on campus have given great support personally to Nepalese students and to the fundraising effort. Clubs such as Rotaract Club, I-Club, Korean Club and MEChA put event proceeds toward fundraising.

On May 3, the Nepalese students hosted a candlelight vigil to take a step back and mourn their losses. “A lot of people showed up to that and I didn’t really expect that big of a number. I feel like that was one of the times I felt the most support,” Pradhan said.

Tags:  facebook I-Club Knox Knox College Knox for Nepal korean club mecha Nepal rebecca eckart Riya Tiwari Rotaract Club Tanika Pradhan Teresa Amott The Red Cross

Campus Safety Log: Multiple accidental fire alarms in residence halls
A joy for the game