Community / Featured / News / August 21, 2015

Burg Bar and Grill nearly destroyed by fire

After the Burg Bar and Grill, previously known as McGillicuddy’s, was nearly destroyed by a fire early Friday morning, the skeleton of the building still stands at 58 S. Cherry St.

Police tape and traffic cones created a perimeter around the structure Friday morning, and the block was closed to traffic.

Debris sits on the McGillacuddy’s awning after a fire that destroyed the building Friday, August 21. (Carly Taylor/The Knox Student)

According to The Register-Mail, fire crews and police were dispatched to the scene at 1:51 a.m., where they remained until 6 a.m. The two-story structure burned from the top down, with flames starting somewhere on the second story, resulting in the collapse of the roof. No injuries were reported.

As of Friday afternoon, the cause of the blaze remained unclear and is currently under investigation.

The fire was prevented from spreading into the neighboring building by an upstairs wall, though there is water damage throughout both structures on all levels. The first floor of McGillicuddy’s remains intact, but debris litters the ground among the tables and booths, all of which are soaked in dirty water, which continues to drip down from above.

Galesburg Fire Chief Tom Simkins told the Register-Mail the building was “pretty much a total loss.”

On the morning of Friday, Aug. 21, the scent of charred wood lingered thick in what used to be McGillicuddy’s, a familiar place for Knox students and residents of Galesburg.

Worry is prevalent in responses from students and faculty. A former venue for Jazz Night and other campus events, the fire struck a huge blow to the community.

“McGillicuddy’s was a place that was special to a lot of people, and it sucks that future Knox kids don’t have the chance to experience it like we did,” junior Kelsey Doerflinger said.

Admission Counselor Sarah Colangelo ’10 expressed her concern for the future of the business.

“I’m not really sure what this means for Galesburg or for Cherry Street,” she said. “I hope for these folks who have been running McGillacuddy’s that they’re able to get back on their feet.”  

Carly Taylor, Staff Writer

Tags:  burg bar and grill cherry street Fire fire department investigation jazz night kelsey doerflinger mcgillicuddy's Sarah Colangelo tim simkins

Knox selects Dining Services management
Knox Soccer trumps MacMurray, renews claim of Ferris Trophy

Carly Taylor