Campus / Featured / News / September 10, 2015

Convocation begins Knox’s 178th year

Knox Board of Trustees Chair and Duke Vice President, University Secretary, and Special Assistant to the President, Richard V. Riddell '72 presents at Opening Convocation. Riddell presented on Thursday, Aug. 10 in the Harbach Theatre. (Lucy Rae Dorn/TKS)

Knox Board of Trustees Chair and Duke Vice President, University Secretary, and Special Assistant to the President, Richard V. Riddell ’72 presents at Opening Convocation. Riddell presented on Thursday, Aug. 10 in the Harbach Theatre. (Lucy Rae Dorn/TKS)

Chair of the Board of Trustees Richard Riddell ’72 returned to the Harbach Theatre stage on Monday to deliver Knox’s Opening Convocation address to celebrate the beginning of the college’s 178th year.

Riddell graduated from Knox with honors in theatre and said he last performed in Harbach during his sophomore year in 1970. During his address, he said that the Board of Trustees act as “fiduciaries” of the college by ensuring the college’s short and long term health. He encouraged new students to embrace their time at Knox and serve as “fiduciaries” to themselves.

Riddell encouraged new students to take a wide variety of classes in college and take advantage of their opportunity to have a liberal arts education.

“To ensure your long-term health, you need to try new things,” he said.

He said that while at Knox, students should learn to ask questions of the people around them to prepare themselves for success after college. He noted that students should appreciate the fact that their peers and professors come from a wide variety of backgrounds and take the opportunity to learn about others who are different than them.

“You’re going to get many different answers,” Riddell said. “Take the time to understand what you learned before you decide what you think.”

Along with Riddell’s address, Dean of the College Laura Behling welcomed 10 new faculty members to campus and the Knox College Choir performed under the direction of Professor of Music Laura Lane.

Knox President Teresa Amott awards Associate Director of Communications Peter Bailley with the Janet C. Hunter Prize on Thursday, Aug. 10 in the Harbach Theatre. (Lucy Rae Dorn/TKS).​​

Several awards were also announced and given to students, faculty and staff during the ceremony, including:

The Philip Green Wright/Lombard College Prizes (for distinguished teaching):

• Assistant Professor of Anthropology-Sociology William Hope
  • Professor of Physics Tom Moses

Recognition of Inductees to Phi Beta Kappa (for students with high academic achievement who are placed in the nation’s oldest academic honor society):

• Senior Sophia Dunn Croll
  • Senior Julie Wertheimer
  • Senior Miranda Eve James

Elbridge Pierce Prize (for the senior who made the greatest academic improvement during their sophomore and junior year):

• Senior Enkhjin Tumenjargal

Faculty Scholarship Prize (for a student who has shown exceptional academic ability and significant extracurricular involvement):

• Junior Dakota Stipp

Janet C. Hunter Prizes (for a salaried and an hourly staff member to recognize their outstanding accomplishments and service):

• Secretary of Campus Life Cindy Wickliffe
  • Associate Director of Communications Peter Bailley

Tags:  awards Board of Trustees convocation fall term Harbach Knox College Choir laura behling Laura Lane lori schroeder Richard Riddell Teresa Amott

Knox Soccer trumps MacMurray, renews claim of Ferris Trophy
"Speak About It" teaches new students about sex positivity, consent