Campus / Community / News / September 23, 2015

Salmon Bake baits ‘Burg

Guests enjoy the salmon offerings from High Noon BBQ's restaurant. (Lizzie Wisdom/TKS)

Guests enjoy the salmon offerings from High Noon BBQ’s restaurant. (Lizzie Wisdom/TKS)

The first time Sitka Salmon Shares held a bake, Mayor John Pritchard dubbed Sept. 21 as Wild Alaskan Salmon Day. The second year, the event moved from Lake Story to Galesburg’s Sustainable Business Center and was deemed a zero-waste event.

Now in its third year, the Wild Alaskan Salmon Bake is practically a tradition. Hundreds of people came out to try salmon samples, toss fish heads and learn to bake salmon at the Wild Alaskan Salmon Bake this Saturday.

A crowd of people ambled by the stage where the Henhouse Prowlers, a five-piece bluegrass band who stopped in Galesburg on their way to a night gig in Rockford, Ill., performed. Younger children and college students colored salmon drawings with crayons and glitter glue. Near the end of the event, a crowd gathered around an ice bucket full of salmon heads as teams of two deliberated before the salmon head toss, deciding whether it would be more helpful to get a smaller head, or opt for a bigger one.

Freshmen Kyle Foley and Jeremiah Horton were surprised by the crowd and impressed by the community vibe. The two came with the Prairie Fire basketball team, which prides itself on volunteering in the community. The week before, the team volunteered at the Discovery Depot and the Purple Hanger.

“It’s really good for the freshmen to come out here,” Foley said.

The event appeared to attract an equal amount of Knox students, faculty and staff and members of the Galesburg community. Some people announced in the event’s Facebook page that they’d be coming in from Chicago.

“This is probably one of my favorite events in Galesburg,” senior Shannon Henry said.

Senior and sustainability intern Ned Babbott saw this event as a “dry run” to practice zero-waste events in Galesburg.

“This is something we want to do all the time at Knox. Mitigating waste and solid waste especially is a high, high priority for the sustainability department,” he said.

He was impressed that people seemed to easily understand how to separate composting and recyclable waste.

“I’m thrilled for that,” he said.

Kate Mishkin
Kate Mishkin is a senior majoring in English literature and minoring in journalism. She started working for TKS as a freshman and subsequently served as managing editor, co-news editor and co-mosaic editor. Kate is the recipient of four awards from the Illinois College Press Association for news and feature stories and one award from the Associated Collegiate Press. She won the Theodore Hazen Kimble Prize in 2015 and 2014 and the Ida M. Tarbell Prize in Investigate Journalism in 2014. She has interned at FILTER Magazine, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and WGIL radio and the Virginian-Pilot.

Twitter: @KateMishkin

Tags:  Galesburg John Prithcard Knox College salmon bake salmon festival Sitka Salmon Shares sustainability Wild Alaskan Salmon Day zero-waste

Bookmark and Share




Previous Post
Campus Safety Log: Student involved in car-bicycle accident
Next Post
Bon Appétit promises bright future, students still in the dark



Kate Mishkin
Kate Mishkin is a senior majoring in English literature and minoring in journalism. She started working for TKS as a freshman and subsequently served as managing editor, co-news editor and co-mosaic editor. Kate is the recipient of four awards from the Illinois College Press Association for news and feature stories and one award from the Associated Collegiate Press. She won the Theodore Hazen Kimble Prize in 2015 and 2014 and the Ida M. Tarbell Prize in Investigate Journalism in 2014. She has interned at FILTER Magazine, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and WGIL radio and the Virginian-Pilot. Twitter: @KateMishkin




You might also like






More Story
Campus Safety Log: Student involved in car-bicycle accident
Sept. 22 4:41 a.m. ACCIDENTAL FIRE ALARM, Beta Theta Pi — Campus Safety and GFD responded to a fire alarm caused by an overheating...