Arts & Culture / Mosaic / October 14, 2015

BAN homecoming event to be hosted at A.B.L.E.

Over the course of Homecoming weekend, several events will be hosted by the Black Alumni Network (BAN) for black students on campus, including a networking event held at the A.B.L.E. house on Saturday. In collaboration with both the Black Alumni Association of Knox College (BAAKC), a Chicago-based alumni group, and A.B.L.E., BAN’s goal is, according to their website, to “build upon [their] shared Knox experience to foster alumni traditions, serve the diverse needs and interests of current black students and curate a culture of philanthropy among the alumni body.”

BAAKC founding member and alumna Debra Banks ‘73 expressed via email her support of BAN’s initiatives for current students as the representative of an affiliated organization. “Our purpose is simple: to serve the social and professional needs of black Knox College alumni and to provide assistance to the college in fostering positive expressions of African-Americans in every facet of campus life,” she wrote. BAN’s goals are similar.

Senior and President of A.B.L.E. Catlin Watts spoke via email of the collaboration, as well as her organization’s Homecoming plans. “I know the members of BAN are looking to build and foster a stronger relationship and support system with current students of color at Knox than in the past,” she wrote. “As has been the tradition, A.B.L.E. and Lo Nuestro host a joint open house during Homecoming to help bridge the gap between students and alumni.”

The Networking Event will be hosted Saturday, Oct. 17 at 3 p.m. at the A.B.L.E. house on West Tompkins St. The event costs $35 and registration can be found on the “Homecoming” tab of the BAN website.

Carly Taylor, Staff Writer
Alexandra Byerly, Staff Writer

Tags:  able alumni BAN homecoming

Student push needed for film major
Holistic effort powers Knox

Carly Taylor