Campus / News / January 11, 2016

Faculty meeting: Task force suggests four draft proposals

The Task Force on Knox Education presented a report on the subject at Monday’s monthly faculty meeting — the first of many discussions to come on the future of Knox’s educational framework.

Detailed in four draft proposals, these nascent curricular models were presented by Associate Professor of Music Nikki Malley and other members of the task force as a means of thinking about a wide array of potential adjustments to the Knox academic experience.

The models’ suggestions range from increasing focus on experiential learning, to better meeting the needs of the changing demographics of Knox students, reframing graduation requirements and altering the academic calendar.

In addition to more concrete changes, faculty are rethinking the pedagogy behind a Knox education.

But not all agreed with the push to broaden the qualifications for graduation, with some raising the concern that a student could graduate under the drafted plans without taking a science course.

Independent of these future academic changes, two new interdisciplinary minors were approved during the meeting by majority vote: health studies and statistics.

The faculty also debated possible changes in representation on the Board of Trustees.

Their discussion centered on a recent proposal made by the board’s chairman, Richard Riddell ‘72, to replace faculty observers with two faculty members and two students who would all serve as voting members on various executive committees provided they agree to keep the meetings’ proceedings confidential.

The matter was tabled until further information could be gathered on the role faculty would play in the general session and committees under the proposed system.

Tags:  Board of Trustees faculty meeting health studies statistics task force on education

TKS's top 10 stories of 2015
KnoxWatch: #SOTU