Columns / Discourse / May 18, 2016

Camp counselor good experience

Summer is coming up, which means internships, visits to the beach, summer jobs and reconnecting with family and friends. For some, it means waking up every morning to put on a fanny pack, ugly sandals, running shorts and a t-shirt that says “Camp Counselor” on the back. Working at a summer camp has been the most rewarding thing about my life. I get to watch exceptionally cool kids grow up through the years into insanely cool people, and I get the narcissistic pleasure of thinking that I had a tiny part in making that happen. I spend my days teaching canoeing and choreographing unfortunately terrible dances to Beyonce songs for my campers to perform at the end of the week — there’s nothing better.

Here’s where I’m going with this, though: Everyone should have an opportunity to be a camp counselor. Just do it. There’s going to be a time in your life, probably coming up very soon, when you won’t be able to dress up in a banana costume and publicly embarrass yourself in front of children for money. Think about it — you are literally just hanging out with cool people for your job. There’s worse shit to do in this world. And here’s the best part: We go to Knox College. We’re already all summer camp material. We’re used to letting our weird quirks and true personalities show through, and more importantly, we’re used to dealing with unique personality traits — that’s what camp is all about! We already make fools of ourselves when we dance at parties, we’re well-versed in eating breakfast for dinner, getting too competitive in sports that don’t matter and shitty cafeteria food. Dealing with your drunk friends (or worse, your drunk suitemates who you don’t actually like) is much harder than caring for children! Take advantage of this time in your life where you’re able to be paid to act like child for the summer, because pretty soon, college will be over, and your summer camp opportunities will have run dry.

Lillie Chamberlin, Discourse Editor

Tags:  camp counselor discourse experience internship Knox College Student summer break

Tevin Liao elected President of Senate
Outsourcing not positive student experience

Lillie Chamberlin