Sports / May 25, 2016

Up-and-coming Knox sports stars

Men’s Baseball Sophomore Auggie Ward, Pitcher. Having led the team in with an ERA of 2.55, Ward seems poised to be the next baseball player to explode onto the MWC scene.

Men’s Basketball Freshman Braden Adams. Tied for the team lead in minutes and second in points per game, Adams will look to build on a great freshman season next winter.

Women’s Basketball Sophomore Naja Woods. Woods paced the team in assists and steals this season, and ranked a close third in points per game. With an even bigger role next year, look for Woods and her teammates to continue the team’s success.

Men’s Cross Country Junior Josh Tvrdy. Tvrdy posted this season’s top 8000 meters time for Knox, and will look to continue his dominance next season.

Women’s Cross Country Sophomore Rebecca Katz. Only a sophomore, Katz has started completely rewriting Knox Women’s Cross Country record books, posting all six of the top 6000 meters times in Knox women’s history.

Men’s Football Sophomore Jacob Paul. Having earned second Team All-Conference this year for his work on Knox’s defensive line, Paul will look to lead the Prairie Fire defense to greater heights next season.

Men’s Golf Freshman Duncan Wheeler. After submitting the third-best score in the MWC Championships, Wheeler looks to become the top golfer in a conference currently led by mostly graduating seniors.

Men’s Soccer Sophomore Phelipe Graske. Earning a spot on second Team All-Conference this season, Graske will look to help lead a team losing several star seniors.

Women’s Soccer Freshman Jenny Crary. After making the MWC All-Conference Team and finishing second on the team in goals scored, Crary and the rest of the women’s soccer team will look to build on its historic 2015 season.

Women’s Softball Junior Chelsey Howard. Howard finished the season batting .315 and leading the team with 16 RBIs and will look to continue leading this young team next year.

Men’s Swimming & Diving Sophomore Harry Carpenter. After being named the men’s team MVP after his first season, Carpenter came back with another strong year. He will look to continue his dominance again next year.

Women’s Swimming & Diving Junior Madeline Bruce. Bruce followed up her fantastic sophomore performance with a strong junior season. As a senior next season, Bruce will try to lead the Women’s Swimming & Diving team to a strong showing.

Men’s Tennis Sophomore Ashwin Kushwaha. Kushwaha spent nearly every match this season as the team’s one slot player, facing off against every opponent’s top performer. He saw success there, as well as in his doubles pairing with senior Rohail Khan where they won two matches together.

Women’s Tennis Freshman Savannah Sailors. Sailors led the team with five wins and finished on a two game win streak. She hopes to be able to carry this momentum into next year’s season.

Men’s Track & Field Freshman Zachary Barnes. In his first season, Barnes has already posted one of the best 800 meter run scores in Knox history with a time of 1:57.33. With such a strong start, Barnes seems ready to help the Men’s Track & Field team achieve new heights in the future.

Women’s Track & Field Freshman Val Varanese. In the first outdoor race of her career, Varanese shattered the Knox women’s 100 meter record. She continued to slip her name into several other top 10 lists in Knox Track & Field history, and hopes to do the same next season.

Women’s Volleyball Sophomore Rose Griffin. One of the top hitters in the conference, Griffin dominated Knox opponents with 213 kills over the course of the season. Next year she will look to help lead the team to another strong season.

Jonathan Schrag, Sports Editor

Tags:  Ashwin Kushwaha auggie ward Braden Adams chelsey howard duncan wheeler harry carpenter jacob paul Jen Crary josh tvrdy madeline bruce naja woods phelipe graske rebecca katz rohail khan Rose Griffin savannah sailors val varanese zachary barnes

"Best of the year" awards
Thoughts from the Embers: TKS reflects on reporting practices

Jonathan Schrag