Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 8, 2017

After a strong performance at this past weekend’s Swimming and Diving meet, sophomore Emma Newman is the TKS Player of the Week.

In their final tuneup for the Midwest Conference championship tournament, the Knox Swimming and Diving teams posted strong numbers this past weekend at a tournament hosted by Beloit College.

With 19 top-four finishes, this was by far the most successful tournament of the season for Knox.

Among the leaders for Knox was sophomore Emma Newman, who finished first in the Women’s 100 freestyle with a time of 1:01.41, as well as a second place finish in the 50 freestyle with a time of :28.19.

Newman also joined seniors Clarice Bernett and Madeline Bruce, as well as freshman Melissa Wood in capturing first place in the 200 medley relay race with a strong time of 2:03.75.

For the men, junior Harry Carpenter managed a first place finish in the Men’s 500 freestyle with a time of 5:24.85 and a second place in the 1650 freestyle with a time of 18:49.71.

Sophomore Joseph Hilger finished first in the Men’s 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:17.48, as well as a second place finish in the 100 freestyle with a time of :59.79.

Both the Men’s and Women’s teams will look to carry this momentum with them in their conference championships tournament in the coming weeks, hoping to compete for a top place finish as a team.

Jonathan Schrag, Managing Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a junior majoring in Political Science and double minoring in Educational Policy and History. He has been writing for TKS since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to News, Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  clarice bernett emma newman harry carpenter joseph hilger knox swimming madeline bruce melissa wood swimming and diving

Success tutors focus on study habits
Knox Sports updates