Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 22, 2017

Sophomore Val Varanese posted her personal best time in the 200 meter dash, placing first in the competition.

In their final meet before the Midwest Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships, the Knox Track and Field team continued to improve.

Sophomore Val Varanese led the pack yet again, finishing with several top times.

Varanese won the Women’s 200 meter dash with a personal-best time of :27:02, shaving more than half a second off of her personal record.

In the Women’s 60 meter dash, Varanese finished second with a time of :8.07.

Varanese hopes that this strong performance will carry her to her best performance ever in the MWC Championships at Illinois College this weekend.

Freshman Michaela Kowalewski also performed well, finishing in second place in the 60 meter hurdles, and fifth place in the 200 meter dash.

Senior Jessica Fritts finished in sixth place in the Women’s weight throw with a personal-best distance of 12.86 meters.

While there were many other top-10 finishes this past weekend for the Men’s and Women’s Track and Field teams, they will need even more stronger performances in order to place higher as a team at the MWC Championships this weekend.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Varanese is a junior. We apologize for the error.

Jonathan Schrag, Sports Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a sophomore planning to double-major in political science and history. He has been writing since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to both Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  jessica fritts knox college indoor track and field michaela kowalewski track and field val varanese

My activism is still evolving
Winter term sports awards